Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission stuck in first

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  macdrone 
#1 ·
I have a 1991 300 TE 4matic wagon with 133,500 miles. Park and reverse work fine but it does not shift out of first going forward. Is the B2 piston problem I hear people refer to??? Can I fix it myself on this model?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
cheers

#2 ·
Transmission

Well did you check the tranny fluid? How about replace that and the filter? How many miles? My 400E has 205000 miles and started a little slip on first take off when cold (in first gear) and changed the fluid an wal la all fixed. Sometimes the easy stuff can cure all our ills. Make sure to take the hex nut out of the torque converter to drain every bit of fluid. and remember when you fill it back up fill to norm and add while running, add a little, cycle through the gears, add a little more until up to temp and in the normal range. Do not over fill as it will just find a way out. If for safety's sake if you don't want to pay for fluid twice and suspect the pistons I suggest the B1 and B2 piston and then there will be no question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.