Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Replacing Control Arm 1995 es320

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sergio 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am planning to replace my control arms next weekend because I cannot get an alignment done for lack of good lower ball joints and control arm bushings. It has 163k plus miles (1995 es320 Wagon) so I am not very upset or surprised . Can someone look at my picture of the lower ball joint on my website below and tell me if, once I manage to compress the spring, I can simply loosen that bolt that appears to be pinching on the top of the ball joint to remove the entire control arm? Is knocking off the ball joint connection the greatest challenge after getting a compressor tough enough to compress the spring?

Has anyone done this in their garage, removed and replaced the lower control arms, and lived to tell about it?

Here is exhibit #1.
Mercedes 1995 E320 control arm replacement

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

#4 · (Edited)
sasjzl

There is a tool " two plates and a long piece of all thread " . The plates slide in between the coils , the all thread rod goes through the center . You compress it by tightening a nut. With the arm swung down and the shock removed, the spring will come out.

This is to be done with care , home made - half assed Chinese - spring compressors are dangerous . If your a good steel fabricator you might build something that works . You only need to compress it " till it clears " so 20 -30 %

Some years the ball joint is available separately , other years you need to buy the complete arm to get the ball joint since its welded in ,,,,, as in ball joint ( $35 ) arm assem. ( $170 ). I think smaller shops had problems pressing them in & out . They also figured you needed the arm bushings anyway , changing it as a unit was cheaper for the customer in labor.

A link to a tool photo

#5 ·
You NEED to use the Klann spring compressor. Anything less could be very dangerous. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.
On the '95 year models, the ball joints are not replaceable; the entire control arm (about $200) must be replaced.

Sergio
'95 E320 187K miles (will be replacing control arms in the spring/summer timeframe)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.