Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

4matic troubles

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  jmoney6 
#1 ·
hey all new to the forums....
I just got a 93' E300 4matic courtesy of my parents for christmas
any ways my mechanic told me that the 4matic is inoperable due that the power steering pump is not pumping to the 4matic system i don;t know...does this sound right?

#2 ·
jmoney6 said:
hey all new to the forums....
I just got a 93' E300 4matic courtesy of my parents for christmas
any ways my mechanic told me that the 4matic is inoperable due that the power steering pump is not pumping to the 4matic system i don;t know...does this sound right?
My understanding is the PS pump is a dual pump. One handles the PS the other handles the 4matic hydraulic. Has the mechanic checked the pressure to the TC? How do you know the 4 matic is not working? Is the hydraulic reservoir full? Is the 4matic light on? It could be the TC is toast like mine. I am replacing my TC.

#3 ·
no its funyn the TC is fine in my car. Thats what i was worried about because its a 2-3 thousand dollar fix. He said the pump is bad, would a rebuild kit work or do i need a new pump?

#6 ·
Jmoney, if it's more than the PS pump and you don't want to pay big $$$ to replace the transfer case, you can also turn off the 4matic system and drive the car like a RWD. There's a lever in the engine bay. Use the search function. There's a photo of how to do it on here somewhere.

#11 ·
How hard the job is of removing, rebuilding and replacing the pump is very much dependant on your level of DYI skills. For me, this is not a job that would cause me much, if any, concern.

When I first started owning Mercedes, I was somewhat frustrated with the "why" of how these cars are engineered and assembled. Once I started trying to understand the "why" they became much more logical to me. Give yourself time, ask plenty of questions and learn all you can (if it is of interest to you) about them. Other than another Mercedes, find some other manufacture's model that is 21 to 12 yrs. old and see how they have endured.

These are truly wonderful cars to own and drive. My only regret is that I waited until I had owned about 52 other cars before I woke up....

Good Luck,

Jayare

#12 ·
oh yeah, i love my baby my mom has an 06 c-class and honestly i'd rather drive mine. Do you know how many lines are connected to the pump itself (the 4matic pump). Its not leaking p/s fluid its just bad from what i'm told, do you think the repair kit could fix the problem or am I looking at a new pump.

#13 ·
You will find the pump located just ahead of the airflter. Mounted to the forward portion of the block on the drivers side. It has a metal "lid" on it with a large black nut/knob, located dead center. It is the only thing that looks like this. Once you locate it, just observe how many lines are attached. I would suspect that there are 4 as it is a duel purpose pump.

Hard to say if you need a new pump or a rebuild on the one you have. If there are rebuild kits available.........then?? Go figure. Most of the part sites I use don't even list a new or rebuilt pump like yours. If they are available, I would think they are somewhat expensive. One site I use shows two choices available for a regular PS pump. One is a ZF unit that is listed at $428 and sells for $293. The other is a Vickers unit that list for $342 and sells for $205.

To me, the rebuild kit looks pretty good. Again, it depends on your level of skill.
You might also try using the search function on the site. I am certain someone has posted a picture of the PS pump/location. By the way, these power steering pump units have filters that should be changed yearly along with the fluid.

You may also find that purchasing a Bentley's Owner's Bible on the W124's is a good investment. It is more of a glorified owners manual with good information about standard maintenance needs and how to go about doing them.

Good Luck,

Jayare

#14 ·
good idea, actually i think i'll pick one up this weekend. I've heard things about the 4matic system, and since my transfer case is in good shape (belive it or not with 185,000 miles) does it drive better with 4matic. Like will i notice a huge difference?

#15 · (Edited)
Your fuel economy may suffer in 4matic mode. It's not full time AWD as my subaru was, which got terrible mileage for a new car, but turning 4 wheels is harder than turning 2.

Do the 4matic sedans have the self leveling systems? I thought only wagons and 500E's have it in the w124.

#17 · (Edited)
We get 20 in the wagon and it has a ton of miles. what do you get?

Also, I don't know where in Connecticut you are, but if you are near westchester, ny, my father has his 124 repaired at Caico's auto repair in bedford hills. Mark Caico is knowledgeable about these cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.