Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

300E , doesn't start in Cold , but Starts in Warm?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  thetentguy 
#1 ·
300E , doesn't start in Cold , but Starts in Warm?

there is alot of trouble starting usually you have to turn igition twice and for long time...

WHat is the problem?

IS this related to the gasket leak the 1990 models are known to have ?

#2 ·
hang in there dude, i am working the same issue on my 300e. i WILL fiqure it out and i WILL post my results. i have asked that same question on this forum since i joined with little results. but i am close to a cure. mine is hard start cold and difficult start hot. i suspect leaking injectors and bad cold start switch. we will see very soon.

#3 ·
mountainredneck said:
hang in there dude, i am working the same issue on my 300e. i WILL fiqure it out and i WILL post my results. i have asked that same question on this forum since i joined with little results. but i am close to a cure. mine is hard start cold and difficult start hot. i suspect leaking injectors and bad cold start switch. we will see very soon.
glad to see I am not alone in this problem. I turned my car into the mechanic,...keeping my fingers crossed it will be a simple fix and I won't have to drop the car.

#5 ·
to test the cold start valve, simply apply 12 volts and a ground to the 2 little prongs at the cold start valve. i know its tight. it does not matter which one you make the posi/neg. touch the wires to the battery and with the engine off you should hear it click when voltage is applied. now, to check and see if it is actually spraying in fuel, start the car and while its running touch your test wires to the batt. and if its doing right the engine will flood/load up. you can mistake it if it is working. i actually used an extra cold start wire from a parts car to make my test wire. those little prongs are hard to hook up to.

#7 ·
mountainredneck said:
to test the cold start valve, simply apply 12 volts and a ground to the 2 little prongs at the cold start valve. i know its tight. it does not matter which one you make the posi/neg. touch the wires to the battery and with the engine off you should hear it click when voltage is applied. now, to check and see if it is actually spraying in fuel, start the car and while its running touch your test wires to the batt. and if its doing right the engine will flood/load up. you can mistake it if it is working. i actually used an extra cold start wire from a parts car to make my test wire. those little prongs are hard to hook up to.
Wow, I didn't know you could test the CSV that way! The only way I thought was to just remove it, leave it hooked up and hold it over a cup while cranking the engine at cold temps. It should spray fuel, but not leak after starting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.