Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I just bought my first Mercedes!

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  '91 300CE 
#1 · (Edited)
Wow, the quality on this thing for being almost 20 years old is amazing! It's a 1989 300E, new paint, quite nice inside and out. It shows 132,000 but the odometer is not working.

So, I am going to park my Lightning and use this as my daily driver. Are there any things I can expect to go wrong. Any preventive maintenance I should do.

It idles and drives great. Oil pressure and cooling are fine. Once the other day the check engine light went on and the idle got wierd, but the next day when I started it up it drove fine and the light was off.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. I have the same color combo on my wagon. It's old school but I like it. The CEL could be alot of things. Most likely an oxygen sensor. Use the search function and you may be able to find your particular symptoms. I would suggest you immediately change all fluids (oil, trans) and spark plugs as well as the fuses. That would be a good start. Also pick up Stu Ritter's 124 Owner's Bible.

#7 ·
battlecat714 said:
congrats and welcome! pics are dead btw.
Thanks, must be something wrong with my hosting site...

Took her out for a 20 mile drive today; the check engine light came on mid-ride then went off minutes later???

I noticed it was leaking some tranny fluid where I had it parked for two days; is that usually a seal??? All the fluids look clean and recently changed...

Other than that, it was a nice drive.

#8 ·
Welcome to the form. For my money or in this case your money, I wouldn't trust "fluids look clean and recently changed." Take the time and small dollars needed to do all this. It will put you on firm ground of now knowing what has been done and start a log on the car. You will most likely answer your question about transmission fluid leaking as well.

This forum never ceases, for me, to be an abundant source of knowledge and entertainment. Enjoy your new ride. It may very well last you a lifetime.

Good Luck,

Jayare

#10 ·
Great Ride

I would look at a pan gasket if its leaking, or a power steering pump line loose. Mine worked a little loose in my 400E and it looked bad, well it wasn't. A little effort ant guess what no leaks anywhere this boys bad. Still working on pics. You'll love the ride! :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Awesome feeling huh? Mercedes!

Congratulations and welcome to the board.

Best recommendation? Take a few hours at night or an afternoon on teh weekend and read read READ in the forums. You will learn more that way than by asking questions and waiting for people to answer. Always feel free to ask though! (hope that came across nice, like I meant it to... ;^)

Welcome!

#13 ·
I am leaking trans. fluid in my '91... its from the transmission cooling lines... nothing major in my case.

Congrats on the car... like everyone has said, do a complete fluid change and replace all your fuses... they are bad, whether they look it or not, they are. It will save you massive headaches and confusion later down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.