Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Who has IQ Audio Speakers?

911 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jmoney6 
#1 ·
I have just purchased a 1990 300e and am very excited to be picking it up Saturday. I know it needs a couple of things, all minor, so you will be seeing more from me soon, hopefully with pictures.

I did want to upgrade the audio/stereo, as it has one blown front speaker and the original Becker headunit. Has anyone installed the factory sized IQ car audio speakers, and how does their sound compare to others out there. Goal is to use original hole sizing - not really interested in cutting the cut up. Doubt I will get to a subwoofer anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

#2 · (Edited)
i suggest getting aftermarket replacements. you cant see the difference, but you can definatly hear it. the front dash speakers are 3.5" drivers, the once in the doors are 6.5" and the ones in the rear are 5.25". this sizing doesent require any cutting or anything. if your opening it up you might as well be replacing them with high quality speakers like alpine or something. also a deck with cd capability is always nice. and you should know one 12'' sub in a seald box sounds great in the 300E cars. not too crazy, but just enough base to get by. ive done this setup with all alpine equipment and it sounds great.

just some things to concider

#3 ·
Mark,

Welcome aboard.. Always good to have another new member. You will find this forum to be invaluable, at least in my opinion. Your new car may not have the door speakers that pyro-la mentions.. Only the models that came with a Bose system had the door speakers and I am not certain that the option was even available in 90. My coupe has 4" front and 5.25" rear speakers. I believe you will find that these two sizes are pretty much universal across the sedan and coupe models.

I do agree that it is best to replace the headunit and speakers. OEM speakers were only rated for 4 ohm of resistance and most modern headunits require 8 ohm. I replaced mine with a Sony unit CD/MP3/Sat. and have been very pleased.

Good Luck and again, welcome to the forum.

Jayare

#4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the comments. I have already found the site invaluable as I've been lurking around doing as much research prior to my purchase.

I like the idea of staying with one Manufacturer for some reason, and have had previous good experience with Alpine. Good to know they have sizes that will work.
Mark

#5 ·
congrats addbhp I own my own audio shop and i did my e300. The radios in these cars are a big pain to do. If you are near me we could do the job for you or if you want to do it your self i can help you out with any installation help you need just pm me or something. p.s. clear a good weekend off the calendar to do this job.

#6 ·
Now I dont really suggest going to "stores" (bestbuy or circuit city) for car audio but they put the cd player in my 300 in and it was a pretty good job. However be careful though I took my 190 E to circuit city and they cracked a part of my dash.

#7 ·
honestly and i'm nto just saying this because there competition but places liek circuit city and best buy give you free installation or very cheap installations, basically you get what you pay for. The difference is they work for liek 15 dollars an hour while a reputable shop will cost you upwards of $65 per hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.