Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

are import mercs ok?

799 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  redwood 
#1 · (Edited)
my question is I live in Australia and there's a car I'm probably going to look at, and it's a Japanese import. 300E from 1991 and he says 92, 500 km it's travelled. :)

not knowing anything really about imports are they best left alone for any reason. and with the kilometres, is this likely to have been rolled back, because it's low for the year. possible, but raises potential suspicions. it certainly gives seller a chance to pop the price up a few grand at least. :rolleyes:

I would imagine this car would be a candidate for an inspection to determine the wear of certain parts by an expert to confirm or deny the kilometres claimed. is this possible, like can the mechanics give the game away to mileage claims and therefore pass this information my way to my advantage. :thumbsup:

also specifically the wiseness of the decision to buy an import also. what are the terms used to distinguish an import of this nature from it local version, ie "Japanese Import (car) vs Locally Compliant (car)? :confused:

#2 ·
hey mate, i reckon it would be a lot wiser to get a locally delivered benz, theres a lot of variables with imports especially ones coming out of japan, km's are definatly wound back, if your really keen just get the inspections report and detailed photos of the car.. then make a decision

#4 ·
avoid it if you can. too many negative variables with cars from Asia. Personally not too familiar with specifications or differences with imported asian cars versus Euro Spec which is probably superior as it is with U.S. spec models. My poor 560SEC lost 62hp. while coming across the pond. That's huge!! emissions regulations no doubt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.