Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

500E for sale in my area

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  alexnatt 
#1 ·
#5 ·
augapfel said:
Nice car. Very nice. The original purchaser can't be too happy that the current seller has posted pics of the 90k mile service invoices showing his home address, phone number, and business phone numbers. Bad judgement on the curent seller's part IMO.
That was poor judgment. It's a good lesson to anyone selling a car not to let it go with their personal info. Too far? $1200? It's a 10 hour drive from here to LA and less to northern cal. Both drives feature lots of wide open spaces and no sign of johnny law.

#6 ·
Holy smoke! I have never seen a $ 10,000 invoice for car service! Hard to believe somebody would spend this much and then get rid of the car. It would have been easier just to dump the car for $ 8k or so.

I have saved the original test article from Road and Track on this car from early nineties. They called it the best car in the world back then.

#7 ·
IIRC the 90k service was done in MArch of 2004. On that invoice is shown the date/mileage the car was previously service at that dealer. The elapsed miles were something like 1500. Conclusion: for whatever reason the original owner stopped driving it. Maybe he bought a new expensive ride. MAybe the lack of A/C made driving it unappealing. If you notice a nice chunk of the "90k miles service" was to replace both the evaporator and the compressor. The guy probably made a bisiness decision "Ya know, I hardly ever drive this thing and it's costing me a fortune. Time to say bye bye." We don't know how long the seller has owned it do we? I think it's kind of misleading to say that the 90k mile service was just done -- and then reading the invoice you see it was 3 years ago. A lot can happen in 3 years. Still, I'd like to have it and find out what problems may have developed for myself!

#8 ·
Well since you have his phone number, give him a call. :) My guess is that he traded it on a new ride. My wife is from Pasadena. There's alot of money in that town. He might have gotten tired of driving an "old" car.

#11 ·
That looks like a really nice car, not hacked up, and orginal.

#12 ·
$10K Blasphemy! my 500 has 207K miles and the most expensive repair I ever had done was replace a leaking front crank seal about $600. leaking power steering pump set me back $400. However, I did perform all the required services per maintenance schedule myself and with the piece of mind that things were done carefully and properly using only O.E. parts. I guess when you have big money you can just drop it off somewhere and say "give it whatever it needs" NO thanks, personally would rather spend a few hundred dollars on the factory service manuals and tackle the jobs myself, mind you there are some things that need to be done in a shop only unless you invest thousands (literally) in special tools and diagnostic equipment. Very nice car and a very attractive price!

#13 ·
Looking at the repair invoice at 89K miles. Besides the 90,000 service and A/C replacement, he had FOUR new shocks put on and the transmission completely rebuilt. That is a lot of work for a 500E at 90K miles unless it was tracked.

#15 ·
tinyboytim said:
was just also wondering why there is no oil pressure at idle?
That is a "feature" of 500Es. It makes me VERY nervous so I am replacing my oil sending unit in the next week. It has nothing to do with normal oil pressure. Once you tap the throttle it jacks up to 3. I have talked to the techs at Renntech in Miami and the Director of Service at the Mercedes Classic Center at Irvine [who is also a 500E guy] and everyone tells me it is OK.

#16 ·
Wow, very nice car. Depending on where the bidding goes it could be a pretty sweet deal. Too much money for too old a car for me though ;-)

#17 ·
The seller's "MO" is to set her reserve at about 75% of the $20k buy it now in her listing. She has had one 500E before and it went for about 14 I think, but it was not as well documented as this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.