Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

a little out there, but what do you think???

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  pyro_la 
#1 · (Edited)
i have to refinish my amg monoblocks for my 300E, and i dont know if i should keep them original silver, or paint them the same colour as the car and have a polished/chrome lip. the car is metallic black or perl black as benz calls it. im about 50-50 on what i should do. it would look kind of horny with the body colour wheels. but before i decide i thought i should get some imput from my fellow benzonians on the forum. so lets hear it, what do you guys think.

fyi the first pick is what it looks like now, the second is just a photoshop idea using black colour not the cars paint colour, just to get an idea.

#3 ·
Open them with Microsoft photo editor (or similar), reduce them and save them as .jpg files. The file size should not be more than 200-300Kb.

Sergio

#8 ·
Sounds lilke your car is the 199 Pearl Black. Great color. I have seen several cars done with the monoblocks shot in 199 Pearl Black with polished lip and that combo rocks. I am getting ready to do similar with a W126 in anthricite gray.

Make sure you get them media blasted front and back to get them very very clean before laying on paint. Get a good base and several clear. You are going to be fighting brake dust so it has to be right.

#9 ·
mcbear said:
Sounds lilke your car is the 199 Pearl Black. Great color. I have seen several cars done with the monoblocks shot in 199 Pearl Black with polished lip and that combo rocks. I am getting ready to do similar with a W126 in anthricite gray.

Make sure you get them media blasted front and back to get them very very clean before laying on paint. Get a good base and several clear. You are going to be fighting brake dust so it has to be right.

mcbear,
do you have any pics with the painted wheels on the cars? id like to see what it really looks like before doing it, please let me know if you have pics or if you know where i can view them.

thanks

#10 ·
I do not know who the credit goes to for these two pics. I lost some of my metadata that was attached to a group of photographs during a conversion of about 20,000 images. Anyway, here are two black W124s with keyed monoblocks.

#11 ·
Go with the stock color. Black just looks tacky. Whenever I see a car with black rims I think to myself that the person who bought (or refinished) those could have spent their time and money elsewhere instead of wasting it getting black rims. I think cars look best when they're stock. But maybe you're a teenager and you like that sort of attention from other teenagers. Your might think black rims look understated yet elegant or something. In that case, go for black. Or just sell your Amg's and buy some old wheels and rip off the hubcaps. Don't forget to attach bull horns to the front of the car, and boost you seat up so your head sticks out of the sunroof as you drive by. That would be most excellent.

#12 ·
NowListenHere said:
Go with the stock color. Black just looks tacky. Whenever I see a car with black rims I think to myself that the person who bought (or refinished) those could have spent their time and money elsewhere instead of wasting it getting black rims. I think cars look best when they're stock. But maybe you're a teenager and you like that sort of attention from other teenagers. Your might think black rims look understated yet elegant or something. In that case, go for black. Or just sell your Amg's and buy some old wheels and rip off the hubcaps. Don't forget to attach bull horns to the front of the car, and boost you seat up so your head sticks out of the sunroof as you drive by. That would be most excellent.
Welcome to the forum. I can see you are going to have fun. :)

#16 ·
battlecat714 said:
hey mcbear isn't that alon's ce?
Not sure, I lost my detailed data on the photographs when I did a conversion to a new library program. It only got about 1,500 pics but it got most of my W124 photos. I only know the details on the photos that I have shot at different StarFest's and other shows over the past eight years. The rest are just in a digital pile.

#17 ·
NowListenHere said:

now listen here...

first off let me welcome you to our forum, second im going to try and say this calm and rationally as possible since you are new and you may or not know how things work here. we all have our own ideas on what our cars should look like and we are all entitled to our own opinion. also i agree with you that stock cars look best which is why im choosing my 300E to go with all the mods i want as it my cheapest car and best choice to do this. i can understand how one would think black rims on a ferrari would look tacky. now as for attitude, there is no need for it, especially since none was thrown in your direction. as for my 300E im turning iit into a track car and am pretty much putting all new performance upgrades to the car, from suspension, to wheels to my one day finished pride and joy motor. the one thing im keeping with throughout this project of mine is one simple word UNIQUE. once finished and possible even now, i can say i have probably one of the only car like mine in the world, and believe me it nice having something thats different then everything elce you see out on the road.

all in all just tone it down a notch and im sure youll be fine

welcome!

#19 ·
pyro_la said:
mcbear, thanks for the pics, it looks better than i thought, im still 50-50 on this so eveyone please post your opinions dont know weather i want to go with the stock look or a tuned look.
I think it all depends on your age. Usually, the younger you are, the more you want to mod your car and give it that sleeper look. The older you are, the more you want to keep it original and stock. These aren't perfect assumptions by any means but just a thought i've had for a while. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE.

#20 ·
battlecat714 said:
I think it all depends on your age. Usually, the younger you are, the more you want to mod your car and give it that sleeper look. The older you are, the more you want to keep it original and stock. These aren't perfect assumptions by any means but just a thought i've had for a while. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE.
Apparently I didn't get that memo. I have been restomodding for years. So many of the people that I bump into at meets that are my age [50+] are doing the same thing. We have our "stock" car but nearly everyone has one or two cars that have many many tweeks. My biz would not even fly if it were not for 40+ guys [and women] who add BBS wheels or color matched leather Recaro seats or lowered suspension or transplanted, SCed motor or complete $10K aero package to their Benz, Bimmer or Porsche.

#21 ·
i think there are people out there who enjoy the stock look (young and old) and then there are also people out there that like the modified look (young and old) i can see both points of view. both have their advantages. while personally i do like to give unique touches to each of my cars weather it be a full performance upgrade from head to toe, or something as simple as amg wheels on a stock s class. but there is always a limit to everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.