Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

300E 24-valve sedan scarcity

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Jayare 
#1 ·
My brother-in-law recently bought a 1991 300E 24-valve sedan, up until then I had only seen the 24-valve badge on 300CEs, were many sedans delivered with 24-valve in the W124 class?

#5 ·
didn't go to U.S unless imported

afaik they only delivered that sedan to Australia (among other countries but I'm not sure which) but not to the US. I was going to look at one the other day a champagne 1992 model (however didn't). it is the "3.0 litre early M104" engine which formed kind of a bridge between the 3.0 litre M103 engine it was derived from and the later 3.2 litre M104. I think its years were from 1990 until late 1992 or early 1993. The 300E-24 donk provided a decent increase in horsepower over the M103 (about 30 Kilowatts) but high in the rev range so for everday driving was very similar in performance. top speed of the 300E-24 was a fair bit higher than the 12 valve 300E. it was not until the M104 from 1993 onwards replaced both the M103 12V and the M104 "early" 24V that additional useful torque down low in the revs brought a change in the nature of the engine more.

there are a few opinions as to how good the engine your brother-in-law has, as there are words from some mechanics that they stuffed the M103 up when they put the 24 valves head on it, made it too noisy or something without seriously altering performance but I can't speak from experience there. it could be fine and I'm sure has many happy owners. certainly in West Australia (Perth) I have seen quite a few both advertised and in person, and some have been very good examples. however I have not for some reason got to test drive the 300E-24 cars I saw and looked good, but have test driven a few normal 300E's.

#6 ·
300CE-24 Coupe

I happen to have a 300CE-24 Coupe, its a Japenese Version with M111 engine and a 5 speed tranny ..... well used to have a 5 speed tranny to be more precise. The car is perfect the engine is powerful but feels a bit heavy. There is an issue of engine sound as well, it seems to be a bit louder than others i guess because of the fan that keeps trying to cool the engine down.

I wonder how many of these were built !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.