Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

400E Steering Issues need help/advice

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  macdrone 
#1 ·
Ok 1993 400E with the V-8, all but one screw to the heat sheild for the steering gear is hidden. My cars wheels respond more to the road than to the wheel like the stearing gear needs some adjustment, mind you there is no "free play" turn the wheel and the tires turn. Although it does not return to center on its own and it guides itself a little if you dont hold the wheel. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.:confused:

#3 ·
macdrone - My 92 300E has issues when the road is crowned. I really have to ride close to the center of the road or the steering wheel is off center and I have to hold the car to the road. No free play with me either.

I think the lack of wheel returnability is an alignment issue. Any other thoughts?

#5 ·
Steering

Tires are newer, no steering noise to speak of. When on jacks/on lift steering unlocked tires can be turned side to side with ease, shouldn't there be resistence from the box? Could it be I need to tighten the adjustment on it? With the heat shield there (V8 its covered) I can't even get to it to try. Thanks for the ideas so far but it drives straight as long as I hold it there, wheels straight also.

#6 ·
Hello Guys

Did you ever try to wiggle your front tires sideways and try to lift it up and down when it is on a hoist, the probability of this problem is your balljoint.If you are
driving on a flat road with no imperfection and you constantly have to correct
your steering position that definitely is balljoint unless you have a 19 or 20
inches size rims and your tire is worn out.

Give it a try
goodluck p.c.

#7 ·
Steering and balljoints

I had the old boy on a lift yesterday and not movement at all solid as a rock. I haven't taken him in for alignment yet but thats the next idea. Like I said with wheels unlocked up on the lift I can turn that thing easy as can be from the wheels.:confused:

It can't be bad, It drives too good.

Over 200000 and still purring like a kitten.

#9 ·
I have been told you can adjust the steering gear a little but in my case the V8 made them put a heat sheild over it, well I can't get the heat shield out to adjust the gear so I am stuck at the moment. I still have not got an alignment, which I am sure it needs but that steering box is bugging me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.