Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

pumping the pedal????

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mountainredneck 
#1 ·
i have read on other post in the past where people had hard starting 300e's. i read where one guy said pumping the pedal helped it to start. he got responses like; its fuel injetion, you don,t need to pump it; its not carburated; etc. i agreed with all those. until.... my 300e has had those same hard start problems. just for fun and frustration i tried pumping the pedal on mine while starting. it starts right up! i don,t understand how it could make a difference either, but it does. i am still going to install new injectors. but until then i will be pumping the pedal if nothing else to save the starter.

#2 ·
Have the same issue on mine and I think it's the cold start valve. I put a new engine in my car, but took some old parts off the old one like the injectors and csv-looks like that's the culprit for mine.

#3 ·
Pumpin the pedal

Sounds like you should just step on the pedal once. It may be that your injectors are leaking and you needed more air to start up. The intake would be mostly closed (choked) on cooler starts because of the cold start valve. I hope that helps. ;)

#4 ·
since posting this thread i have replaced the injectors in wifes 260e. you are somewhat correct. holding the pedal to the floor cuts down on hot start time down to <6 seconds versus >9 while pumping or not touching accelerator. SOMETHING is flooding this engine. what? i don't know. ideas???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.