Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

can you paint on top of a chrome wheel

744 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  My300eOn18z 
#1 ·
hi there! got a lorinser d93 but they are chrome finish...nothing wrong with it but I really like the silver finish. would it be possible to just sand down the chrome with 400 grid sand paper then spray it with primer then silver paint lastly the clear coat. thanks!:)

#2 ·
I would try a can of "Wurth Silver Alloy Wheel Lacquer " its 10 - $18 a can and matches the silver used on German cars . I dont know about sanding them unless you dont ever want chrome again . look for a silver primer so if it peels you wont see black /gray / yellow.

Best would be bare rims no tires and paint them at your leisure , but in the real world its masking tape & wheels on newspaper in the driveway fresh off the car.

#3 ·
autosleek said:
hi there! got a lorinser d93 but they are chrome finish...nothing wrong with it but I really like the silver finish. would it be possible to just sand down the chrome with 400 grid sand paper then spray it with primer then silver paint lastly the clear coat. thanks!:)
you can paint on them... but for any little thing like rocks, gravel anything of that nature will chip the paint..... the best thing to do is have them powder coated... that way they can bake them and they will never chip ... and they will always look wet..... :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.