Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

how to remove clear coat amg rims

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  autosleek 
#1 ·
hi guys! got a pretty good question here. I have a set of staggered amg rims and they are silver with clear coat. but you know how they clear coated to whole rims including the lip. how can I take the top coat on the lip with out touching the clear coat on the silver painted parts. the reason for this is one of the rims clear coat on the lip chiped off and I noticed that it was like polished and was thinking if I can just remove the clear coat on all the lips will give a nicers chrome finish to it.:confused: :thumbsup:

#4 ·
You could test an area on the back side of the rim , use a bathroom rust / mineral remover on a clean spot . If it turns dull quickly or foams its very high in the percentage of magnesium , If its unchanged its more aluminum and holds up better to corrosion .

Some spray can clear urethane will hold you over for touch up . Depending how picky you are you could chemically strip / pick / wet sand off the old edges before painting . Depending how hard the old coating is, it could be a job to remove it . Some big wheel detail shops will strip them bare and re-coat them in two part catalyzed clear paint ( not cheap ).

#5 ·
Uboater said:
You could test an area on the back side of the rim , use a bathroom rust / mineral remover on a clean spot . If it turns dull quickly or foams its very high in the percentage of magnesium , If its unchanged its more aluminum and holds up better to corrosion .

Some spray can clear urethane will hold you over for touch up . Depending how picky you are you could chemically strip / pick / wet sand off the old edges before painting . Depending how hard the old coating is, it could be a job to remove it . Some big wheel detail shops will strip them bare and re-coat them in two part catalyzed clear paint ( not cheap ).

thanks a lot for the advice!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.