Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Just bought my Son a late 1993 300E (Part II)

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dohockey 
#1 ·
Thank you all for your interest on this thread!! My son was quite thrilled when he saw your responses and interest.

I have posted some pics showing this "mistery" GREEN LIGHT. This light comes on when the key is in position 3 then it goes off when the engine is started - like the rest of them. Of course with the exception of the ABS light which maybe burned out (??). What is this light for?? It is not in the manual - I have the original manual for the car.

Also, as you can see in the pic of the entire dashboard, the clear lens is damaged by an overzealous car detailer who did the car before I bought it - I figured I could polish the stain and it wouldn't have prevented me from buying the car in any event. But this stain has proven to be quite stubborn to all my attempts at polishing it off. I have tried glass wax, WD40 (works really well for a lot of things and won't damage the plastic!!), fine polishing compound, Sensodyne toothpaste (contains a moderate abrasive compound. I believe it's Zinc Phosphate - it is real gritty and you can feel it between your teeth...), car wax, and Bluemax Plastic cleaner and polisher. All without success... . Any ideas?? I have managed to remove some of it. The car had so much Armour All in the surfaces that it stayed on my hands and clothes for a while. I am wiping it off as I have the time.

By the way, you can see the "Jewel in the Crown", i.e. my 1999 S500 in the background. I have had this car for 39 months and I can truly say that I have a love affair with this machine. It is an incredible car and not too expensive to maintain. I do have to tell you that I have a separate savings account for this car in the event it needs something major. Also, I got an extended used car insurance for 48 months/48K miles from GMAC since I bought the car from a Cadillac dealer - it has definitely paid off!! I am planning on re-newing the policy in 2007 when it expires. This car has 95201 miles on it and it runs like a dream!

In case you guys wanted to know, I ran a full Carfax report on the 300E and it came back legit and no positive incidents. Mileage is correct and I am the 3rd owner.

Anyway, here are the pics for the 300E:

Thank you all for your help!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I fear that the detailer may have used some sort of chemical that may have permanently damaged the plastic and no amount of cleaning will remove it. Since you're familiar with pulling out the assembly, it might be worthwhile to consider just changing the plastic all together.

The green light is something different from what I'm familiar with. Sorry... I have no idea what it's for :-((

Another stab in the dark idea is that it is still the "check engine" indicator only it has a green light instead of the usual red. To check if it is, what I would probably do is leave my fuel cap off and if it goes on, presto! You'll just have to reset the light after that. It's a crude way of doing things but to me, it's practical :))

#5 ·
yeah, that green light is odd. especially since it's unlabeled -- if it was a "real" indicator, mercedes would have labeled it.

judging by its location, it's most likely the equivalent of the "check engine" light, maybe modified by the previous owner to obscure its meaning. though if that's what they wanted to do, it would have been easier to just remove the bulb...

in any case, you should definitely find out what it is, even if it means driving to your local mercedes dealer and asking them to take a look. once you figure it out, let us all know, since i don't think any of us have seen this before!

#6 ·
Just a stabin the dark - But

THe green light might be a previous owners way of hiding a radar detector's signal. I have seen these dash lights on other cars (Porsche) in states or provinces that ban Radar detectors. So this might an example of that. Do you know if there is or was a radar detector on the car before you bought it?

Just a thought!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.