Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Almost Bought A W124 Today

864 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LTYLER 
#1 ·
I was so excited. I had looked at this W124 in my area that was in immaculate condition, and I went down this morning to buy it. It was a good price--$8100, and I figured I'd trade in my car for $2000. I had driven the car before and it drove fantastic; it had been really well taken care of and looked brand new.

But problems started early. When I had been in before, they'd quoted my BMW trade at $2000. By the time I was ready to sign the papers, it was down to $1100. My interior is worth more than that! On the previous visit, they said their extended warranty covered the wiring harness. This time, they said it didn't and they had "no idea" it was a problem with Mercedes' sixes, which is bullsh!t. I then inspected the wiring harness and found it to be disintegrating, so I walked away from the whole thing.

It was a big mess and I'm pretty angry about it. I was hoping to post pictures of my new baby today, but I made the right decision in walking away. There are plenty of other W124s in the world.

#2 ·
pweber5 said:
There are plenty of other W124s in the world.
Now that is true.

I don't mean to offend any car dealers that frequent this community, but I've had experiences quite similar to yours (minus the Bimmer of course) on several different occasions. Unfortunately I've not always had the presence of mind to walk away - well done.

#3 ·
pweber5 said:
I was so excited. I had looked at this W124 in my area that was in immaculate condition, and I went down this morning to buy it. It was a good price--$8100, and I figured I'd trade in my car for $2000. I had driven the car before and it drove fantastic; it had been really well taken care of and looked brand new.

But problems started early. When I had been in before, they'd quoted my BMW trade at $2000. By the time I was ready to sign the papers, it was down to $1100. My interior is worth more than that! On the previous visit, they said their extended warranty covered the wiring harness. This time, they said it didn't and they had "no idea" it was a problem with Mercedes' sixes, which is bullsh!t. I then inspected the wiring harness and found it to be disintegrating, so I walked away from the whole thing.

It was a big mess and I'm pretty angry about it. I was hoping to post pictures of my new baby today, but I made the right decision in walking away. There are plenty of other W124s in the world.

For 8 g's I'm guessing you were looking at something from 93-95 range?

#4 ·
#5 ·
This car is listed way to high. $8995 for a 11 year old sedan. KEEP LOOKING BUDDY.....

Yes it's a very nice car but don't be bent over by the dealer. Take your time and find a nice w124 with as much documentated history as you can. From what i understand the older M103 1986-1992 W124'S have a/c and Head Gasket issues later in life and the M104 1993-1995 has wire harness and other nastey expensive fixes ! Find one with a good history and take your time with the purachase. there are a million of these cars out there in N.A. and i doubt a third of them have been cared for but the ones that have been will last forever. Go private I say

Best Of Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.