Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Strange Stereo/Amp issue

978 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Uboater 
#1 ·
I am posting this here and not in Audio as it pertains to my 124.

Yesterday, I locked my doors once inside the car like I do everytime I get in, and my radio cut out until all the locks engaged then came back on like nothing happened.

But then my rear right speaker started crackling... ok no big deal... but then when I was listening to XM and there was any powerful bass, my rear speakers would cut out completely, doesn't do it listening to regular FM, although my XM is fed thru the FM tuner, just more powerful than FM stations I guess. So I turned the bass down from 2 to 0 on my Blaupunkt and it stopped cutting out...

I get to my mailbox and open the door with the car still running and the radio shuts off again until all the doors are unlocked then everything was back to normal... no more crackling and everything was clear as a bell...

What the hell do my power locks have to do with the radio??? I was thinking alarm, but then thats only activated from the key not just locking the doors inside the car.

Any help? I don't want to take it somewhere and have them start tearing my car apart to find the problem and create rattles... and I absolutely love the speakers that are in my car... from the VIN number it states BOSE system, and it does sound like the BOSE system in my Silverado... LOVE IT so if I can preserve it, thats what I want to do.

TIA!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would guess maybe the amp draws a lot of current , the lock momentarily drop the voltage below the operational needs of the the sound system.

1. The battery is dieing , alternator is having problem ( you would notice slow cranking on starts )
2. One or more locks are shorted enough to pull too much current
3. Some how the amp / XM is wired in series with lock supply power.
4. Meter the voltage ,at the radio -amp -XM , see how low it goes when you cycle the locks. They may need a clean feed of power right off the fuse panel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.