Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Problem initally starting 1991 300TE

850 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pjfoltz 
#1 ·
My 1991 300TE has a problem starting on the first crank, sometimes second crank. On the first crank the engine will fire, the RPMs will immediately rise to 1500 then stall. Sometimes I have to crank the car for up to 20 seconds. This problem occurs when the engine is cold and warm, but when warm less cranking is needed to start the car. On cold days I put gasoline directly in the manifold and the car starts right up. After the car is started it runs flawlessly. I replaced the cold start injection valve, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, yet I've had no sucess in starting the car on the first time. Does anyone have any ideal what is going on with my car? Any help is appreciated, and thank you in advance.

#2 ·
Back in the old days as a professional tech, I saw this on cars (especially european) that were driven short distances. Typically, when the the car was first started, a buildup of carbon on the valves absorbed the fuel, requiring extended crank times. The best fix for this was having a de-carbon treatment, one of the simplest being a BG product called 44K. One can is allowed to be sucked into the intake through a hose fitted with a small orofice, as to allow the cleaner in without stalling the engine. When that can was gone, the engine was shut off and the 44K allowed to soak in for a few hours. When restarted, the amount of smoky crap out of the tail pipe was reminescent of a 007 movie. After a spirited drive to clear out the engine, another bottle and a tank of hi-test (which you use anyway) completed the treatment. So, if you are pretty sure you don't have a vacuum leak leaning out the mix (which should be noticeable when the car is warm as well) you might want to check out a de-carb treatment. No guarantees, of course, just a suggestion.

Patrick

Free advice is worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.