Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

help with trans install

777 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  akamoose 
#1 ·
I am putting a transmission back into a 88 260E. I can't seem to find the vacuum line to the modulator, not sure it was there when I took out the other trans. I need to know where the line runs from so I can replace the line.

There is also a electrical plug on the pass side of the trans coming out of the body and I don't remember where it goes.

A little help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
The modulator vacuum tubing runs right up to the intake manifold as shown here:

http://bos-engel.com/benz/vacuum.jpg

As far as wiring on the passenger side, that is for the kickdown solenoid (I think). It's a single wire that comes through the side of the driveshaft tunnel as shown here:

http://bos-engel.com/benz/kickdown.jpg

#4 ·
Thanks for the pics. I got the electrical plug where it belongs, but there isn't a line from the manifold running back to the tranny, it's just not there. This was my sister's car and I got it to switch out the tranny. I need to know where the vacuum port is on the manifold that should run to the tranny. Looks like the car has been driven without the modulator and it killed the tranny.

Can I put a T in another line and run hose back to the modulator. If this is supposed to have the line you'd think I'd be able to hear the leak, but there isn't one that I can tell.

#5 ·
No need for a tee. The vacuum line comes up the bellhousing and goes between the head and the oil filter. Then it goes under intake manifold runner #6 and comes up between runners 5 and 6. There's a steel nipple pressed into intake runner 6 just outboard of the #6 injector.

#6 ·
Ok, I found the port, but the line connected to it goes down under the manifold, back toward the oil filter, back up over the manifold along the valve cover to the front side of the main injection system and plugs into something there, not sure what it is.
I know that my sister had to have the head gasket done, did the mechanic goof a bit?

#7 ·
The mechanic got creative with his vacuum hose routing. The nipple I mentioned is for the trans modulator. There aren't that many underhood vacuum hoses on a 124. One goes from the ignition control unit on the left inner fender to the injection unit. Then theres the thermal vacuum switch near the top front of the cylinder head and that switch has 2 ports. One goes to the charcoal canister check valve near the strut tower. Can't remember where the other one goes at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.