Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Cabriolet rollbar indicator lights question

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Kestas 
#1 ·
[8D]

This question is for the Cabriolet owners in here.

The rollbar indicator lights on the dash and the rear of the floor console sometimes continue to flash after the startup self-test. As far as I can tell, it is totally random, having nothing to do with the position of the bars themselves. Bars up, down, or half-way, when the flashing stays on the only way to stop it is to turn off the ignition and restart. Roof up or down has no effect either.

There are no error codes on the diagnostic readout. The wiring harness is like new. All the other electronic gizmos work.

Anybody else seen this problem? I'm about ready to use black tape.

Cheers!

Dave

#2 ·
The Owner's Manual Supplement says that if the light stays on continuously "then a malfunction has been detected... drive only with the roll bar raised until the problem has been corrected..."

It's like the air bag light. I'm gueassing that self-diagnostics revealed a fault with the problem, and the unit won't deploy when needed.

#3 ·
[8D]

Thanks, Kestas. I did read that, but think if there isn't a diagnostic code indicated it might be something else.

If the roll bars weren't so damn ugly I might consider driving with them up. On the other hand, the chances of me rolling the car are slim to none.

Maybe I'll have the indie shop take a look at the impending overturn detector module next time I have to take it in for something.

Cheers!

Dave

#4 ·
[8D]

About those rollbar indicator lights...

I had the front brake pads and wear sensors replaced today. The rotors too, because they were below minimum spec thickness. Of course, the brake pad indicator on the dash no longer lights up since there's plenty of pad.

Here's the wierd part: the rollbar indicator lights behave normally all the time. Maybe the persistant indicators were a sign of a wiring harness problem that is now hidden? Or it's a shared circuit?

Whatever.

Dave

#5 ·
These problems rarely fix themselves. I'm guessing you have an intermittent problem. Keep an eye on it and revive this thread as necessary.

Or perhaps the mechanic was poking around while doing the brakes (as most of us DIYers do) to check for other problems and snugged something up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.