300 D Turbo 1987 HELP is my engine Dead??? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2005
300 D Turbo 1987 HELP is my engine Dead???

I have an 87 300D T with at 340,000 miles with problems on start (I do use the block heater which helps). It was bought from e-bay (I should have known) and has several problems: Smoke and irregular running on start up, Knocks up to 2000 rpm when warm (sounds tap tap tap -2-3 times per second), now it has died (I think the alternator whent so the battery was low) but I cant even start it again :( (I would hate to loose the machine as she handles like a princess) [B)]

I suspect
(1) One bad injector (that would be nice!)
(2) Worn Piston
(3) Cracked cylinder Block (I have lost coolant - and the engine has the origional block which is known for this problem)
(4) little end??
(5) New fuel injector pump (it has a bosh with lots of yellow sealing paint on it at the momment)

so it looks like The engine needs to be taken apart - where is the best place to get engine parts??
Please advise.
biomerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to TheJackal3006
RE: 300 D Turbo 1987 HELP is my engine Dead???

I have a 87 300D T and I had mine die on mine. My problem was I let the fuel level get to low(due to a faulty gas gauge which was replace too) and the alternator locked up. The alternator and battery were replaced and it worked fine. If your alternator is shot try replacing that. But also if the car has ever overheated it is likely that the cylinder block is cracked.
TheJackal3006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class