Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Gauges chrome rings installation. Help needed.

993 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  carolus 
#1 ·
I bought a set of chrome rings to go around the gauges but didn't come with instruction.
How do I get in the cluster to put the rings around the gauges. Does the clear plastic fascia of the cluster come off or do I need to get the whole cluster out of the dash. Thanx

#2 ·
Yes...Whole cluster out of dash. Must first remove steering wheel. The cluster is held in by friction rubber only and will pull out enough to get your hand behind the cluster and pull of the oil pressure plug and screw off counterclockwise the odometer/speedometer cable housing. You may want to invest in a haynes manual as they are $15 and are decent for things like this. Others like the cd-rom repair manuals which are alright too. I would just take it to a indy and have him do it for $50-75 bucks and go to lunch while its being done, come back and chrome guages in your cluster![:0]

#4 ·
300e_4matic - 9/24/2005 4:30 PM

Thanx for the reply, what's an indy?
An indy refers to a mechanic and/or shop that is independant and non affiliated with a dealership. Indy=Independant. Most MB dealerships ive seen are currently charging upwards of $120/hour.??? Indies are not usually limited to one or two brands of vehicles, but a wider spectrum and can be found at an average of $70/hr. (what ive senn here in MN.)[:0]

#5 ·
Should not have to remove steering wheel![:(]It should pull out far enough to get hand behind and disconnect the speedo and plugs![;)] Been there done that couple of times!

Smokie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.