Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

head gasket and valve jobs

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kestas 
#1 ·
what are the tell tale signs of needing one of these jobs done

#3 ·
Hi there, just purchased a 1990 300E with a solid repair history. The current mechanic for the car stated it needed a valve job on the next service. So I called and asked how he knew, stated soiled spark plugs even after cleaning or replacing and uneven idle (not necessarily knocking, just a little rough). Said it would get worse and that starting would be a little slow due to dirty plugs. Also told me it was a $2000.00 job. I love my new old car (really love it) so I will be saving up to do the work next month, but the car still performs well so maybe the valves aren't too bad off in my baby yet. -Chris

#4 ·
Usually a valve job is needed between 150-200K, or it's done if the head gasket needs to be replaced and the car has high miles (because of the labor overlap), or is there's a puff of smoke every time you pull away from a light.

If the above scenarios don't apply, then a valve job is done when diagnosis via wet compression test shows that the valves aren't sealing properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.