Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Cheap Engine Harness

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Kestas 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I found an engine harness off of a 95 E320 with 50 k mile's on it, do you think the harness is good at that mialage, or doyou think I should just rape my wallet and buy a new one?

#2 ·
I think the thing that affects how soon the harness deteriorates is the ambient temperature. A '95 driven in heavy traffic down in Arizona might need a replacement much sooner. Can you visually inspect the harness for cracks? If you have the funds and the harness is available, you might as well get it. It won't be cheaper down the road.

#4 ·
well, the harness you are looking at will have to be wiggled around a Lot to get in/out of a car so that won't do it any favours.

My experience has led me to the beleif that used electrical bits are a little too shaddy to risk.

Jonathan

#5 ·
In the computer biz, using a used part can get you in the "merry go round" where a small problem with a used part can actually damage other components within the computer. Then you go out and buy a new part and put it in, and that gets damages from the earlier damage caused by the used part in the first place. I'd say put your money on the new part so you can be sure you're not going to cause any ancillary damage to your electrical system.

I think my vehicle's not subject to the harness problem as it's older (a '90 300e) but I was wondering if anybody out there with the models that experience this issue has ever considered wrapping the harness in some sort of heat-resistant material? I don't know what could be used but it seems that if that could be accomplished perhaps the harnesses would last longer.

Good luck!

#6 ·
I replaced mine at 56K when it was seven years old. I still have the old one. I'll sell it to you if you want it.[;)]

Actually, you really should buy a new wiring harness. If you saw what's going on under the wire wrapping you'd be appalled. The only other choice would be to replace each wire, one-by-one. Considering the price of replacing the wiring harness, this may be an worthwhile endeavor.

#10 ·
Are the new ones made with the same level of NO-quality as the original ones? Do they have a date of manufacture on them? I think they may have a shelf life. If so, there has to be some one out there that is remaning ones. My mechanic told me they are design to break down because of German laws on recycling. He also told me that most Euro cars are made this.
Business idea here for electrical guys.

#11 ·
I think the replacement sets are improved and not biodegradeable. The replacement part number has a letter in front of it that denotes it is aftermarket.

This problem has cropped up over five years ago, and I would hope that we'd know by now if the replacement sets also biodegrade. And if they did, we'd be screaming bloody murder at MB. Imagine... having to replace the engine wiring harness more often than your brakes!

#12 ·
vili1982 - 9/17/2005 8:06 PM

All of the posts above make sence only thing is not every harness on these cars is gone fuzzy, I'm gonna check it out I might get lucky...
are you willing to risk it?

like someone already said, if its $50, then by all means go for it. but anymore and youd rather buy one that is NOT going to biodegrade.

#13 ·
Check out this site:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/mercedes_misc.html
Mack of Johnson City TN (8/1/03):
The wiring harness on my 1995 Mercedes Station Wagon E-320 became defective and is causing electrical problems. Benz Haus, Inc. explained that Mercedes made the vehicle recycleable and the wiring harness cover was made biodegradable. The plastic deteriorates over time from the heat of the engine and disentegrates causing major electrical problems.

Since I am not the original owner, Mercedes has refused to work with me on correcting the problem. However, it seems that if I had been the original owner, I would have received some assistance. According to Benz Haus this was an ongoing problem with all Mercedes manufactured in the early to mid 1990's. I feel that Mercedes should have had a recall on all these vehicles and corrected the problem.

The check-engine light came on as a result of the faulty wiring harness. Benz Haus said that the wiring harness would have to be replaced at a cost of $800-$900 before they could determine the extent of the damage. Should the computers and other electrical components have been damaged as a result of the faulty wiring harness then I could be looking at several thousand dollars in damages.

#14 ·
Dad's just had the wiring harness crap out on his s-class, and from what I've found out on the w140 forum, most benzes built from early '90s to '96 had this biodegradeable insulation. After that benz got their act together and started fitting the wiring with decent insulation (i presume this would also apply to any after market products).

From what I understand, ambient temperature goes some way to cracking the insulation, however any original wires exposed to higher temperatures won't be lasting too long - and lets put it this way - the engine bay isn't the coolest place on earth.

If you own a later model w124, chances are that you're gunna be up for this bill at some stage...

#15 ·
These links were given to me by 'pcmaher' in the w140 forum. They may be for an s600, but they're still a big help and absolutely awesome if you want to try replacing the wiring yourself...

http://v12uberalles.com/AMM_rewire.htm

http://v12uberalles.com/throttle_actuator_rewire.htm

#17 ·
neanderthal - 9/23/2005 11:39 PM
vili1982 - 9/17/2005 8:06 PM
All of the posts above make sence only thing is not every harness on these cars is gone fuzzy, I'm gonna check it out I might get lucky...
are you willing to risk it?

like someone already said, if its $50, then by all means go for it. but anymore and youd rather buy one that is NOT going to biodegrade.
One in a blue moon somebody lucks out and finds a good engine wiring harness in a salvage yard where it was replaced before the car was retired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.