Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

power window failure

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  sach 
#1 ·
1986 300E. My front passenger window motor has been out for a couple years. Yesterday my three remaining power windows stopped working without warning. Fuses okay. I replaced the relay with no resulting change. I recall that there had been a very slight hum/buzz in the cab for the past couple months but I couldn't pin the source down. The buzz is now gone. Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 ·
I just cleaned all the console window switches with electrical cleaner and replaced a window switch for my right rear ( was told needed a new window reulator with motor ) I put in new switch works like a charm and other windows go up & down with great improvement
Try this first could be a pretty cheap fix.

#4 ·
Well on my vehicle which is 86 300e in the console is carpeting, remove that and find a screw down. There may be two screws at the top of the paneling so check that out also.
Then lift it out and carefully remove the switches and clean as presribed and hopefully that will do the trick. Good Luck

#6 ·
The commode stays in :) That is correct

#9 ·
Blue; Does the seat adjust after the car is running? If so nothing is wrong. Have you checked if the switches are bad? They probably didn't all go bad at once, but it's a lot easer to fix. Check for power at the switch. Don't think the fuse is good on looks alone,replace it with a new fuse before spending to much time or cash.

#10 ·
I found out from an MB tech that the above pics are of a part of an alarm system. The device has nothing to do with the windows and apparently wasn't very good in the first place so I'm leaving it as is. I've replaced the fuses, switched the relays. I will probably have someone look at it in the next day or two. It's now beyond my level of mechanical craft. It's probably something like a plug separation. Why would the seat motor and the windows go at the same time? I'll post the results of a diagnosis.

#11 ·
On two occasions my windows and wiper and seats have not worked. I open the fuse cover, all the fuses are OK but the cover does not go back on easily because the fuse holder plate is pressing up against the top (and in so doing opening up the brass fuse connection) Push the fuse holder down so that the cover fits nicely and everything works.
Hal

#12 ·
Well, I'm glad you brought up your problem, Hal. I haven't used my wipers in months so I wouldn't have known whether they worked or not. Curiously, they don't. But your solution had me looking at the fuse box again and lo and behold the pots for fuse holders 11 and 12 are fried!. I hadn't noticed because the cooking took place below the surface of the pot and the fuse, not being broken, concealed the burnt pot. I also noticed that fuse 11 seems to have no purpose, according to the guide on the fuse box lid. It looks like a fuse box replacement deal to me. I think that's an "ouch".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.