Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Coolant Leak

998 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jfunk 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new 1993 e280 (115,000 km) owner and I'm looking for some infromation about a coolant leak that I've noticed with my car.

A few days ago I noticed the temp guage go very high (~115 C) while in traffic. Following this I looked under the hood and noticed that the hose leading from the rad to the expansion basin was very loose and was steaming and spitting water where the hose attached to the expansion basin.

Firmly attaching this hose was a fairly easy fix and I've filled the basin to the appropiate level, however it seems I'm still loosing coolant (not much but 200-300 ml over 3 days).

I've check the usual suspects for the head gasket but the coolant appears clear as does the engine oil... I'm crossing my fingers that this isn't the problem.

Before I take the car to a garage and blindly ask them to fix my coolant problem, are there any other suggestions of things I can check to try and figure out where the small coolant leak is coming from?

Also, could someone give me an idea of the normal temperature level for this model 1993 e280 (or similar) in torpical regions? Daily temp in Singapore ranges from 29 to 34 C, so should I expect a higher average engine temp (90 - 100 C)... in this climate the A/C is always on.

Any adivce would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jordan

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.