Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ouch! How to fix spring poking in drivers seat back?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MustMakeAmends 
#1 ·
My '86 300E driver's seat has a broken spring near the middle of the seat back, that makes a fairly sharp point towards my right lung! Fortunately, a thick sheepskin cover between it and me keep it unnoticeable and non-lethal most of the time. But how do I get in there to fix it?

It's not broken through the seat cover (MB tex). It's an electric positioned seat, but has no lumbar or heater.

#5 ·
Still, how do I get in to the back of the seat?

I thought you could just remove the hard plastic shell from the backside of the seat back (that faces passengers knees). There are 2 screws at the bottom edge of it, but it seems the shell is attached to the rest of the MB-Tex seat back upholstery?

If I had access to the sprung spring, I'm sure it would only need to be cut off where it's sticking forward. Looks like a hacksaw or dremel job.

Then if necessary, maybe prop up that area of spring w/a piece of "pool noodle" as described here:
http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/W123SeatRepair

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.