Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

300E vs 400E - Would appreciate your inputs

10K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  SLEX Runner 
#1 ·
Dear All,

I am open to getting a 2nd car and it will either be a 126 or a 124. A dealer has approached me offering the following:

92 300E/72Tkm cloth interior
92 400E/94Tkm leather interior

There is a $200 difference between both cars.

How do they compare with each other as far as overall maintenance and fuel efficiency?

And how do both fare relative to the 420E?

I hope I can get you guys to pipe in.

Thank you very much. [:)]

#28 ·
SLEX Runner - 8/28/2005 3:40 AM

While most discuss interior and lower mileage, what about maintenance? Is the 400E more costly/difficult to maintain? Does it have more quirky parts to watch out for compared to the 300E engine?

Thank you all!
Okay, on a more serious note: I like the E320, but I love the 400E. And at least in my experience, the 400E has actually been MORE reliable than the E320. The V8 is smooth and powerful, and the car just whooshes around on a wave of torque. I think the 400E is one of the most brilliant powerplant-chassis combinations ever; even though the w124 was initially designed for a 6-cylinder engine, it seems happiest with the V8. If I were faced with the choice of 400E vs 300E, I'd take the 400E in a heartbeat.

#29 ·
SLEX Runner - 8/28/2005 3:40 AM

While most discuss interior and lower mileage, what about maintenance? Is the 400E more costly/difficult to maintain? Does it have more quirky parts to watch out for compared to the 300E engine?
Oh, one more thing on maintenance: yes, the 400E will cost more to upkeep. Specifically, the tune-ups will run you more money b/c it has two rotors and two distributors (and more spark plugs, obviously). That's a small price to pay for the extra performance and smoothness, though.

Besides that, the usual Mercedes weak links are there: transmission and A/C. But that's true no matter which car you choose.

#30 ·
Thanks Janoz!

Noticed too that the 400E uses the push button selectors for the AC compared to the 300E which still has the rotary switch.

Value for money seems to be the 400E. Between both variants: would you know the BNEW price for either during its time? I'ld know it would have been the 400E but approximately, by how much was the price difference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.