Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1986 300E fuel leaking left rear when starting

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  joev 
#1 ·
When trying to start the vehicle, fuel leaks at the left rear seems like its running down, then dripping off the lines under the car, very close to the left rear wheel.

I do not have a repair manual, and am not familiar with might be located in that area, ie a fuel pump, some kind of connector that may have broken. I have examined the fuel lines, but so far have found only some surface corrosion, and for diagnostic information purposes only the vehicle will not start. Does this sound like a broken fuel line ? If so, is it easily replaced by some purchased custom parts ?

Also, the heat barrier which adheres to the underneath of the front hood is falling off in about a 1 foot by 2 foot section, and appears to be somewhat brittle in that area, how is this fastened to the top of the hood, is it a special glue ? thanks.

#2 ·
I can't help ya on the fuel leak but as for the hood, your best bet is to lay a cloth over the engine and scrape the whole thing down to bare metal and go on Ebay and get yourself a new hood blanket.[;)] Use some contact cement and slap up the new one! Been there done that![:D][:D][:D]

Smokie

#3 ·
The fuel pump and filter are located under the plastic panel just in fornt of the left rear wheel.

You need to pull the cover of and take a look. It could be a coroded line, or simply a bad seal at the filter which could be remedied with a new washer.

#4 ·
You need to replace your fuel line to the pumps. There is a tendency on older cars for these to start leaking. It is best to let shop do it on a rack. The job itself is easy but very messy. If you attempt you will get petrol everywhere since this is the line from the tank. I would buy the hose first and take it to an independent MBZ shop. Use an O.E. hose ONLY as there are high quality fittings. Not an expensive fix.

#5 ·
Thank you all for your support. I will investigate further and make an assessment, should the fuel lines need replacing, I'll most likely have it done at a small MB shop.

I have been looking for an 86 manual. Anyone have a good link ? thanks again.

#8 ·
The fuel filter and pump are on the right rear underside had mine recently replaced. As far as the hood pad, I just did mine this past weekend it certainly is a 2 man job. As stated earlier in reply cover the engine completely with plastic ( make sure the engine is cool ) Carefully scrape all old pad off then we used a air wire brush to remove anything left
We used solvent to wipe off hood let dry for 10 minutes. Used 3M super adhesive to both the hood and pad, you have about 5 minutes to move pad around for precision fit after adhesive gets tacky. The end result a beautifully installed hood pad which I did purchase on e bay. If you need more info contact me via PM. As you can see I also own the 86 300e a great car, just love it

#9 ·
thanks all for the useful and helpful information. Located coroded line, under right rear, and replaced the line. The car runs now, except, it has some issues on cold starts. When the car sits overnight, the next morning, when starting the car, it rumbles, and sputters, and shakes...and 5 minutes later, it is running fine.. I can't put my finger on it, but, it will not go until it has been running for about 5 minutes.
I have located a cracked air hose, and replaced it, but it still behaves the same.

I'm greatful for all your assistance, but has anyone any idea why this might be happening ? I changed the plugs, brand new Bosch recommended for the car, the distr cap and rotor have been changed, it almost seems like a fuel related problem.

Thanks again. joev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.