Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel Distributor Unit - Stumbling Start Update

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  iragreenstein 
#1 ·
After a week the dealer has determined that the car needs a new fuel distributor unit. Apparently this is a rebuilt part as there are no new ones and the re-built unit is $2,000 US.

The symptom is that in hot weather the car will stumble and lose power upon take off from a stop. This happens intermittently. Any thoughts? According to dealer this is largely the cost of the part rather than labor. Seems like a hugely expensive part to me.

#2 ·
I can't see it being the fuel distrubtor. I'm no expert on the internals of the distributor, but all it does is distibute the fuel mechanicaly. I can't imagine and have never heard of temperature affecting this part.

If you do go along with the dealer and replace it, make sure you get their assurance that if it's not the cause they will refund your money.

It could be a fuel evaporation problem in very hot wheather, but the dealer should be able to test the fule pressures when it's really hot and you would imagine the pressure would drop.

I would take the fuel distibution unit completey off and check the rubber housing underneath. I had a similar problem on a 190 2.5-16v which when hot would stumble big time if you floored the throttle on the motorway. It turned out to be a split in the housing I mentioned earlier.

Just an idea.

#3 ·
Spanners is correct. Temperature should not have any effect on fuel dist. operation. A few other things to consider. (1) Fuel pump/pumps condition (2) fuel filter (3) condition of CIS injectors. Sometimes overlooking the obvious leaves you open for other unecessary repairs.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone, I did not have the dealer proceed with the repair. They did not seem sure enough that this was indeed the cause and $2k seems pretty steep. My bet is that it took them over a week to find some problem to fix and they are trying to recover the cost of that labor. Because it is definitely heat related the problem cannot be replicated accept in hot areas so I'm limited on where to take it for repair and not at all handy myself when it comes to the engine. If anyone has any further ideas I am willing to check them out but if anyone knows a good place to get a second opinion I'm all ears!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.