Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

'86 300e will start but not hold...

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  BIG_E 
#1 ·
Greetings all,
I'm a proud woner of an 86 MB 300e 3l. v6,
the car will start and run only if you give it gas,
otherwise will shut down, I had a suggestion about flooded spark plugs, that need to be cleaned.
ANy suggestions for things I should check for?
I bought this car in this condition in attempts to save it and have a new family member, so i do not know much about history of this one.
thx
Rob

#3 ·
How many miles on it, past maintenance history, etc...
I suspect your fuel injectors are faulty. About $350 in parts and 2-3 hours labor at the dealer. Out the door for around $700-800 (Dealer). Mine would not start w/o giving it gas as well. changed all injectors and fixed.

#7 ·
..a follow-up,
checked the ebove mentioned things, but found out the engine has all kind of noises,
went to a nearby MB mechanic, and they said the engine is shot needs to be replaced/rebuilt.
Anyone has experience with those kinds of tricks?
is it worth rebuilding or replacing?
Suggestions of any kind will be greatly appreciated.
Maybe they are not exactly accurate on the diagnosis, maybe there is sth you can do with the engine?

thx

#8 ·
The M103 engine is a very robust reliable engine. How many miles has it done?

If the engine needs a rebuild that bad that is causing it to stall, then I would be expecting to find the air filter full of oil and plumes of blue smoke from the back.

It maybe that their is a seperate fault causing the engine to stall, but the mechanics believe it is not worth it because the enigein is in such a bad way, but again you should be finding the air filter full of oil and plumes of smoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.