Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

4 matic disconnect 91 300 te 4 matic

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  porkchopzz4 
#1 ·
I have a 91 300te 4 matic and the tc is leaking and i can't afford to fix it right now.There was a post regarding disconnecting the 4 matic system by removing the relay on the valve in the rear of the car. this will not affect the self leveling fucntion anyone familiar with this procedure?

#2 ·
Just remove the 4Matic bulb behind the instrument panel (not the triangle but the one next to the SRS light). This will stop the 4matic system from functioning. When I first got my 90 300TE 4matic the 4matic system did not work. The first thing the mechanic did was to insert the missing bulb and like magic the system came alive !!! I decided then that if I ever have to disable it that's the way to do it.
Hope that helps
Tom

#10 ·
hello i have a 93 300e 4matic, i have been running it in 2wd for a year now. I just turned off the 4matic via test lever. the light remains on though so i just put a sticker in front of it so i don,t have to look at it. if anyone knows of a fuse you can pull to keep the light off on the dash please let me know.

#11 ·
Since no one ever answered the question: The gauge assembly is just pushed/wedged in - no screws, no clips. So you just need something like a coat hanger straightened out with the last 1/4 inch bent 90 degrees. Make to of these tools - insert them in the gap on either side, turn 90 degrees and then pull both at the same time - the whole thing slides out. Then just pull the bulb holder out of the back and remove the bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.