93 300E question - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2004, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
93 300E question

Have a problem with my 93 300E, it has a rough idle. When I stop at a stop light, the rough idle starts and the car shakes a little, but if I give it a little gas, it runs smooth. I took the car to German Motors, they called the next day and said it was the EGR valve. The cost would be $376.00, I said ok. The next day they called again and said the wrong EGR came in, there are two types for my car and it was the other. When the other comes in it will cost me $483.00. (I believe there is only one type for my car, the 3.2 engine has two)Got a call the next day and they said that the new EGR valve was installed and the rough idle is still there. They said it may be the Air Mass Meter and will install one tomorrow. Anyone here have any ideas before I go broke?
mikemrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2004, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Yal
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
RE: 93 300E question

GET THAT CAR OUT OF THERE!!!![:0]

Its probably your motor mounts!!
Yal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 95 E320 Cabriolet, 106K

It could be a dirty throttle body bore. A toothbrush and some solvent would cure it.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 94 S500, 01 ML320

I had a similar type problem with my car, and it was bad spark plug. I changed the plugs and wires, and even did the suppressors and now it's fine. But check the plugs first.
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1996 E300 Diesel 1994 E320 Wagon
Send a message via MSN to radunegru Send a message via Yahoo to radunegru

Where are you located?
Also do not pay the guy if is the shopp that I think it is ...he is a scammer... I think I had my car thre once.
radunegru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: '93 300E 2.8L

wtf check the motor mounts. They're probably flat as a pancake
benzpeice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

They installed a new air mass meter and it didn't change. The rough idle is still there. Also could not find any vacuum leakes and the motor mounts are good. He said the next step would be to clean the throttle body but it doesn't look that dirty and take the exhaust manifold off to take a look inside. Any other options???
Old 11-18-2004, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

With the throttle body, it may look clean but the deposits may be only adjacent to the butterfly valve. It is THOSE deposits that give problems.

How about the OVP? It is located under the hood at the passenger side rear. It's a silver colored rectangular thing behind the black plastic cover on the firewall side of the battery with a fuse or two visible on the top. You won't be able to see it unless you remove the plastic cover. Check your OVP for the known bad part number, 000-540-52-45. It says “Made in Austria� on it. If that is the part number on you OVP, get the new updated OVP - replacement number 000-540-67-45. The 52 45's are known trouble-makers and I suggest replacing them even if all is well with the vehicle. It's only a matter of time before they go bad. It's easy to replace for a DIYer.

Another thought - do you have the dreaded engine wiring harness problem? It's relatively easy to check... peel back some of the wiring wrap and look at the wire insulation. If it looks brittle and cracked, you've probably found the problem.

I really question the diagnostic skills of the shop where you took your car. They're the kind that just throw parts at the car until it's fixed, all the time telling you these parts were bad (yeah, right) and charging you for it. You need to find a mechanic that'll properly diagnose your problem before undertaking a fix.
Kestas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Will talk with the mechanic tomorrow about the OVP and the wiring. He first said that it was the EGR valve, he replaced it and it didn't change anything but he said that it was bad any way and needed to be replaced. I wonder if it was bad. I'm going to ask for that used part back. Is there a way that I can check it to see if it was bad? I trusted this guy as he is a ASE certified Master technician. The car is at a place called Dubble's German Motors in Reading Pa. My car has been their over 9 days now and still has the same problem and the bill is over $500.00 so far. I hate to take it back and start all over again somewhere else. Any other ideas on what it can be???
Old 11-20-2004, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Checking EGR Valve

There are two things to check for a functioning EGR valve. First is to pull a vacuum on the diaphragm. The pintle must move or else it is stuck, and the vacuum must hold or the diaphragm is leaking. Second is to try to pass air across the poppet valve. If you can pass air across the valve it isn't seating properly becuase of accumulated deposits.
Kestas is online now   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class