Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help!! Keys locked in Car :(

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  NewBenzoFan 
#1 ·
This morning while working on my son's 93 400e, the doors mysteriously locked when I closed the door – without any help from ME! I had left the keys on the interior console after opening the hood of the car and shutting the driver’s door. I called him and his other set of keys is also in the car.

He told me his 400e will sometimes just locks without any help, which is a problem I’ll deal with later.

Is there any way to gain entry into a 93 400e (w124)? I have the hood open, but all the doors and trunk are locked.

The doors appear to tight for a coat hanger.

Russell

#2 ·
I am not familiar with your cars but if it has vacuum door locks then you could locate the vacuum line for the locks and maybe use a Mity Vac or something to increase vacuum or create pressure maybe that could push the locks up or something. I don't know. Goodluck.

#3 ·
This is a time when it is prob. painfully obvious you can't have to many spares.

Regestration is prob. in the glove box. I would go to the DMV and get a copy of regestration and take that and your picture ID to your local dealer and see what they can do for you. They may not be the cheepest way to get a spare key but the cost will offset any possible damage to the car trying to get in with out it and you will still have a spare key.[:)]

P/S I think the vacuum for the door locks is contained within the passanger compartment by check valves and even if you released the vacuum from the lock system you would still need the keyed lever to release the lock actuator inorder to make it easy to move the lock nob rod. hope that makes sense to you.

#4 ·
I can’t offer any help on getting in, But perhaps a suggestion to prevent future problems. I had a remote lock system installed with the alarm on my 300TD and had them add a hidden button. I’m not about to say exactly where it is located but it can be accessed from outside the car and will unlock the doors.

I had that done because I like to kayak and as anyone can imagine it’s easy to loose things like keys in white water so I just lock the keys in the car now. But I admit it also comes in handy when that sensor on the console tells the car I left the keys there and it locks me out. [:p]

As for getting in your car, Good luck! I’m going to agree with talking to the dealer, Perhaps your insurance company can help you in getting a key from the dealer. I’m sure they would prefer to put out a little effort to avoid a claim for damage from you or a locksmith trying to break into the car.

#6 ·
Wooden or plastic wedge in the top corner of door, away from the hinges. Use a coat hanger with the end bent so that you don’t cut anything and pull up the lock.

Or... if you know how to use a Slim Jim you can get them at places like AutoZone (at least you used to be able to)

You can also go under the window... use a coat hanger (locksmiths use these, but they aren’t coat hangers... about the same diameter but much stronger) you slide down between the rubber and the glass, pop under the glass and come up between the rubber and glass on the inside of car... then lift lock.

As you can tell some of these can take some time if you have never done this before... of course the easiest is the wedge... just don’t push the wedge in too far... don’t want to bend anything

As with anything... if you are afraid you might break something let the professionals do it. If you want you could always practice on a cheaper car... or go do it on your neighbors at night when they are asleep. Of course there is always the good ole standby... and my personal favorite...

1. Find BIG rock...
2. Throw through window...
3. Window should break (if not, just give up)
4. Open lock and door
5. Clean glass off seat
6. Call insurance company and tell them some damn kid smashed up your window.
7. Best to do this to someone else’s car as this will result in quite some damage... but if you are careful, and hold on to rock... no damage to interior... just to window.

Hope this helps... just remember... clean up the glass, you don’t want to cut your butt.

#7 ·
icetrey - 11/15/2004 4:01 PM

Wooden or plastic wedge in the top corner of door, away from the hinges. Use a coat hanger with the end bent so that you don’t cut anything and pull up the lock.

Or... if you know how to use a Slim Jim you can get them at places like AutoZone (at least you used to be able to)

You can also go under the window... use a coat hanger (locksmiths use these, but they aren’t coat hangers... about the same diameter but much stronger) you slide down between the rubber and the glass, pop under the glass and come up between the rubber and glass on the inside of car... then lift lock.

As you can tell some of these can take some time if you have never done this before... of course the easiest is the wedge... just don’t push the wedge in too far... don’t want to bend anything

As with anything... if you are afraid you might break something let the professionals do it. If you want you could always practice on a cheaper car... or go do it on your neighbors at night when they are asleep. Of course there is always the good ole standby... and my personal favorite...

1. Find BIG rock...
2. Throw through window...
3. Window should break (if not, just give up)
4. Open lock and door
5. Clean glass off seat
6. Call insurance company and tell them some damn kid smashed up your window.
7. Best to do this to someone else’s car as this will result in quite some damage... but if you are careful, and hold on to rock... no damage to interior... just to window.

Hope this helps... just remember... clean up the glass, you don’t want to cut your butt.
I agree, it's the fastest way to get back into the car and can be fun. But i wouldn't bother with the insurance company (its a fraudulant claim), plus windows for a W124 are quite cheap now.

Try (before you break the glass) to see that if you break the rear quarter window if you could reach the door handle somehow.

Good luck

#8 ·
well my past experience. even with a full lock out kits its tough.

A Chevey/Ford etc is no prob. to move the lock rod with a tool once you access it. but Mercedes and BMW are different. On MB if you just try to pull that rod up without the keyed arm releasing the vacuum from the vacuum lock elament the rod doesn't move up. BMW is the same but with electric servo.

So if it is forced up it may damage the vacuum elament or whatever you pry against to get that much pull on it.

When you do that it also sets the alarm off because you just accessed the car without the key cylinder that tells the alarm brain you are the owner with the key so be ready to grab the key shut the door and cycle the door locked and unlocked a few times to shut the alarm off.

Sorry for the BLA. BLA. BLA. but getting the $35 key from the dealer is just so much easyer.

Hope you get in.

#12 ·
icetrey - 11/16/2004 7:39 AM

i didnt know you could get a key from the dealer for $35.00... i had heard around $300.00 because it is a certain type and laser cut. but if it is only $35.00 then i think i will get a couple.
I'm sure he probably has got the door unlocked by now but just thought I would leave a suggestion to prevent future occurences but then I saw your message which wouldn't be a very econimical solution if you're correct. I found with my other cars that having numerous spares was a good idea. One with the wifey but the only problem is she may not be able to get to you or vice versa. The other spare I left in the house and last my favorite spot was to keep one in my wallet which came in handy more often than I care to admit.

Pro:

You will almost always have a quick rememdy to getting back in.

Con:

If you lose one of the keys (specifically the one in the wallet where your DL is kept with your home address listed on it) you could have a much bigger problem on your hands.

If you have to keep having the local locksmith come out to rekey your car then this suggestion is no help at all and I just wasted your time.

Anyway I would still like to know if and how you got back in if you care to elaborate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.