Radiator light - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2004, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Radiator light

Can anyone tell me if the radiator light has anything to do with the flow rate of the water or the fact that it is rust colored??? The light comes on as soon as you start the engine even though the temperature gauge is well within range and not overheating. I thought maybe the thermostat was sticking or maybe it has a flow meter????? Any help would be welcomed before I go to the Benz mechanic....It's a 300E 1995 and runs cool and smooth even in 98 degree weather?????[:)]
willieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
RE: Radiator light

the rad light is just a level indicator. it's located in the expansion tank. as for the rust color, it's either rust, oil or some kind of sealant like bars leak. also possible is somebody added pink 5 year. this added to green makes brown. i would flush,flush, replace thermo and fill with mercedes a/f which is clear. be sure it's flushed well cause brown and clear make brown...keep an eye on it....kevin
BENZDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 95 E320 Cabriolet, 106K

Are you sure the rust color is unusual? I too thought couldn't figure out what was going on with the cooling fluid when I first took ownership of my Benz. When fresh, the coolant has an amber color to it if the proper coolant was put into the system. It is highly recommended to use only MB antifreeze or Zerex G-05 in these cars.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1989 300E W124
Send a message via AIM to jmvellis

Quote:
http://
It is highly recommended to use only MB antifreeze or Zerex G-05 in these cars.

Really? I have been using Penzoil AntiFreeze coolant and have had my car for about 6 years now and havent had any problems. Where would i find MB antifreeze if i should be using it?
jmvellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 95 E320 Cabriolet, 106K

MB coolant is dealer-only. Zerex G-05 is essentially the same thing (and approved for MB engines) for almost half the price.

I don't know about the suitability of Pennzoil's Antifreeze. Perhaps their web site can answer this question.

Any problems with using the wrong antifreeze generally only show up with long term usage.
Kestas is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class