Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

considering my 1st Benz

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  blazer 
#1 ·
Hi. First time poster, long time MBZ fan. After years of driving one crappy American or Japanese car after another, I've decided to go get what I've always wanted.....a Mercedes-Benz. After surveying the market place, the W124's seem to have all the qualities that I've associated with the marque (bomb-proof reliablity, good if somewhat conservative looks, good resale values). I've located 3 124's in the region that meet my own requirements, and each has a clean CARFAX report.......a 91 300CE, a 93 300D and a 95 E320 Special Edition. Other than the diesel's lower fuel costs and the CE's possible future collectibility, are there any advantages/disadvantages from a maintenance/repair standpoint to any of these models?

Also, I'm trying to nail down the average yearly maintenance costs on these cars (all 3 are 1 owner cars with less than 60K on the odometer, they'll be used as daily drivers covering 15-18k annually, my current car has averaged $900-1000 per year).

Lastly, can any of you recommend an honest MBZ maintenance/repair shop in Monmouth County, NJ?
Any guidance or advice that you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks

Richard Scroggs

See less See more
#2 ·
The 95 E320 comes with better stereo, updated looks (subjective), and burlwood. It's the latest 124 too...
but, it has the M104 3.2L 24V I-6, which is nice, but will need its head gasket replaced at some point and wiring harness too.

The W124s from 93+ (excluding the V8 400s and 500s, which had it from 92 onwards) have R134A A/C

The diesel is a very nice car and I've heard nothing but good stories about the engine. I drove one and that was still a fantastic car even though its AC was dead (the car was in pretty bad condition though)

The engine is a 2.5 L I-5 Turbodiesel - torquey and quiet

The 91 300CE has the older M104 3.0L 24V I-6 making 230hp or thereabouts. Headgasket as any M104 will be an issue if it hasn't been taken care of.

I think the coupe is the prettiest... :)
but try looking for a V8 400E / E420 for not much more (if any)

#3 ·
I have the 93 Diesel u are looking at.

If reliability is a factor, this is the one to buy.. the damn thing WILL NOT die.

However, if ur looking for overall quality, the 95 will be the best.

I think the coupes are ugly IMO

#4 ·
I suggest looking for a E400 or 420 . The V8 engines will probably cost more, but will definetly increase your enjoyment. The I6's are slow but fine for everyday applications. I own a 92/93 300E, and it rocks. I have had to replace many things: belts, radiator and hoses, ball joints, head gasket (expensive), so you have to decide if you can shell out the capital to sustain this german vehicle.

#5 ·
I to am a MB newbie! I am the lucky owner of a 95 E420! It has the 4.2L V8! what a machine! The power on this car is awesome and the fuel milage has been unbelievable for the area that I am in! What I love the most is that when driving up these long steep grades the car never downshifts!! It just drives right up the grade like it was a molehill. Like Holson said if ya got a few extra bucks hold out for the V8! You won't be sorry!!

Attachments

#6 ·
smokiesman,

Welcome to the forum and that is a top car you have there. Does your username have anything to do with the amount of smokies your car can do? (road conditions permitting of course - we wouldn't want to condone anything illegal would we).

Scrogg,

Welcome to you too, that is a fine selection of cars you have to choose from. I am sure you will let us know when you decide - and remember to post a pic ASAP.

[:)]

#7 ·
Oh for goodness sake no ! we would not want to do nothing illegal!![:D] But as you know with a thourghbred you have to let them have there head once in awhile just so they don't stiffen up on ya!!!![:D][;)]All I do is JUST HANGON!!!!![:)][:0]

Has to do with the Great Smokie Mtns. NC

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.