Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Questions about a 240D to 300TD air management system.

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DeliveryValve 
#1 ·
I have a line on a excellent 240D parts car to maintain my 300TD. I already need a hood ( due to an unfortunate garage parking incident... ) and really dig the steelies with covers on the 240.

I have a temperamental and currently non functioning electronic airflow control system in the 300. I am not concerned about air conditioning as I live in Canada where we need cooler that outside air 2 months of the year. So, to the distinguished members:

1 Is it possible to swap the 2 systems? I know anything is possible, but is it practical and do-able for a DIY guy with time and patience?

2. Ditto for the manual windows? I have both the rear windows in the wagon MIA and thought that changing the mechanisms may also help with the lack of window switches on the centre console of the replacement 240 centre wood panel. Does the wagon rear doors share exactly the same system as the sedan?

3. Down the road, does a 4 speed 240 manual box hook straight up to the 300TD's motor?

I am in the process of replacing the really good black Tex seat skins in the wagon with a red leather replacement. If anyone needs a wagon interior, let me know.

See less See more
#3 ·
Buy it! Manual 240D's are getting seriously rare, and much of the parts will interchange with the other car. You can swap climate systems, but it will be an large project, dash out. Not hard, just involved. I haven't done the swap myself but I have stripped out parts cars and understand the work involved-I doubt there is any reason it could not be done.
I think the window systems should swap, but again not sure.
The manual transmission can be swapped but there is creativity involved-driveshaft length, flywheel balancing, the flywheel fits off the 240D but it is not the correct weight for the 5 cyl-some swaps have reported vibration at certain rpms. Some engines were internally balanced, others used the flywheel a very important thing to research before swapping parts. Expect to spend several hundred on parts and other expenses (driveshaft balancing etc).
Depending on your location, there is a pretty strong market for used W123 parts-especially the Toronto region. Not a huge market, but usually enough sales to cover the cost of the parts car. Bumpers, lenses, seats usually easy to sell, those black alloy wheels are worth a good amount, the dash if in good shape. You have to price stuff to move or it will just collect dust, but people do buy (most of the remaining owners out there do the work themselves). The 240 engine if good is worth $500.

#5 ·
The manual HVAC swap can be done. Like house, I too have stripped a parts car but not yet installed a manual unit yet.
From a 1982 240d, I pulled the whole manual HVAC and wiring harness from the controls, to the blower motor, to the fuse block, to the relays, to the a/c compressor, to aux fan and to the dryer. Mind you I some non- HVAC may have gotten wire may have gotten cut to keep the harness intact.
I also for some other unrelated issue, dug deep into the auto climate control wiring harness, which is a lot more intricate.

If I were doing the swap, I would first pull the whole harness and HVAC from the 240d. Take pictures and label where all the ends go. Lay it out on your floor so you can get a feel of how everything should go. Find wiring diagrams and climate service manuals to also get more familiar.

Then, dive in the TD and start removing all the wiring and HVAC components. You might be able to splice into some of the existing wiring, but I just as well not so you know you have every end point hooked up properly. Also make sure you are not messing up any other non-HVAC wiring during the removal process.
Then finally, install the 240 stuff while taking your time.
Not sure if that helps, that is my two cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.