Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sunroof Switch Questions

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ACF 
#1 ·
Hello. Yes, I have read as much as I could find on this. Promise! And I'm having trouble finding specifics on my questions. :angel

1979 280CE Very clean car.

Situation
  • Sunroof opens perfectly.
  • Won't close at all, and the motor doesn't run when the switch is pushed to close it.
  • Sunroof has never been crooked or "stuck" physically that I can tell.
  • Closes very easily and evenly when cranked manually in the trunk. No struggle.

Assumptions
  • Sunroof is not physically stuck.
  • Switch, or other electrical connection, is not getting power to the sunroof motor in the direction that closes it.

Questions
  • How do I get access to that switch? Just pry the wood panel off? (seen videos, it's not entirely clear)
  • Once I have access, how do I send power to the motor in reverse to see if the sunroof will close under power?
  • Does anyone have thoughts, experience or insight on this beyond the questions I'm asking?

Thank you in advance for your help and support!

ACF

See less See more
#3 ·
Right! And thank you!

I've watched that video a bunch of times, and I keep wondering if I can just get that one sunroof switch out without having to disassemble (and possibly damage) the HVAC control panel.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Also, what do I do once I've got the switch out?

#4 ·
You can carefully pry it using a plastic wedge, but is likely you will chip the wood finish.

Once you have the switch out, take it apart and clean it to see if that helps, otherwise replace it. Also, you want to read this post, that person had a very similar problem and turned out to be the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.