Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What is the most likely reason for a transmission flare between 2 and 3rd?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  luisg92 
#1 ·
81' Automatic 240D. Transmission fluid fresh and at correct level.

What do I start checking first?

#2 ·
Excessive vacuum to the modulator. Do the other gears shift fine?

#4 · (Edited)
Does your car have a black plastic cover over the vacuum valves on the top center of your valve cover? If so, I'd say look at the 2 vacuum valves under the cover. The hoses can split there, the valve flipper levers can break. The levers metered vacuum to the trans. If not, then I would remove the line to the modulator and remove the T shaped valve in the modulator and rotate it one notch counter clockwise. If worse then 2 notches the other way.

#7 ·
If it isn’t a vacuum problem, it can be two things: Worn transmission or weak springs on the valve body. For the last problem there is a kit called “Superior Kit K722A-D” and fixes “Harsh 1-2 shift Soft or flare 2-3 shifts Slip or flare 2-3 (cold) Soft or flare 3-4 shifts Stacked 2-3 shifts”. Maybe you can try it, there is some information about the installation.

Just do a little research about it before buying, I am not sure if the kit was designed for the 240D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.