Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Flex disc question, manual or gas motor difference?

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Forcedinduction 
#1 ·
OK, so this is the flex disc that I removed from the 84' Euro 280CE with 5 speed transmission. (part# 1234110315) It is very different than the ones used in the diesel cars with automatic transmissions. So is the difference due to manual vs auto transmission, or gas vs diesel motors? I need to replace them as they were original, and are shot. Want to make sure I get the correct ones for the 5 speed transmission, now running a diesel motor.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Anyone care to shed some light on why the manual discs are different? I've seen it but never figured out why.

FB

#6 ·
I have always assumed because people are shifting gears (rather than machine) greater flexibility in the joint is necessary.

#7 ·
It is a manual vs automatic transmission thing. So fit that type of flex joint with the extra bits in it. Note the orientation as described in the FSM (sorry I can't remember the way it is meant to be off the top of my head - it is specified in the book)

#9 ·
AFAIK, there are two types of flex disc: those for the 4-spd manual and auto, and those for the 5-speed manual. The 5-spd manuals had what Mercedes called "tangentially soft" flex discs, while the rest had "radially soft" flex discs. There is a myriad of part numbers, though.

I originally had the 4-spd flex discs on my car after converting to the 5-spd transmission, but I now have the proper 5-spd flex discs. I can't really say I noticed a difference, though.

#10 ·
Despite the ratio being not too far off, I've felt that the 4-speed m110 manual cars have felt a little more gutsy than the 5-speeds. I wonder if these discs could have anything to do with the feeling of less torque in the 5 speed versions I've driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I've felt that the 4-speed m110 manual cars have felt a little more gutsy than the 5-speeds.
Because they have different 1-3 gear ratios.

3.98-2.29-1.45-1.00 R3.74
3.82-2.20-1.40-1.00-0.81 R3.71

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.