Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mystery filter

659 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Forcedinduction 
#1 ·
I've got a 85' 300CD with what looks like a smaller than usual pre-filter, set between the oil filter housing and brake booster. I haven't seen it in any manual or 'how to' on the web. The pre-filter is were I expected but I found thing lil' guy hiding in the back.

What is this for?

-jg

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
It's nothing more than a filter to prevent oil from the vacuum pump being sucked into the system if the pump starts to fail or leak.
It does no such thing. Its a fuel filter, its deigned to pass oil through. It only serves as a visual indicator of a failed shutoff actuator diaphragm.

#5 ·
Pretty much. I have also used spare inline (diesel) fuel filters when I had a surplus of them. They just need to be able to pass vacuum and nothing more.

I've done this on most of my diesels over the years, as it gives you an immediate visual indication of an impending vacuum pump failure, and also helps to prevent damage to the vacuum system and brake booster from oil.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.