Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

trans. tunnel sound proof with manual transmission

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Forcedinduction 
#1 ·
All the 300TD's and 300D's that I parted out were autos and had this heavy rubber sound proofing in the trans. tunnel. But there is not a rubber in the Euro 280CE with a 5 speed transmission that I just got. Since I have the motor and trans. out right now and have the sound proofing will it fit with the 5 speed? Anyone who put a manual transmission in a 300D know if there are any clearance issues?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yes. There is a clearance issue. The very rear of the 5-speed transmission squeezes the insulation flat. It's a bitch to install the tranny with this pad. The prop shaft should clear, however.

If you're installing 717400, you should be fortunate to ave te rear lever (5th/reverse) hinge at the top and have the link at the bottom.

On my car, which as a bastard 717413, the rear lever also interferes with the pad. It makes engaging reverse a bit slow.

#4 ·
I am putting this in a car that has a 717400 5 speed in it already. looks like there is a cutout for the shift levers on the other side if the sound proofing.

Attachments

#5 ·
The manual tranny's levers are far away from the side of the insulation pad.

A word of advice: You're not getting that pad in there without dropping the tranny. You don't have to pull the tranny out, but you will have to lift, move forward and tilt backward the engine-tranny assembly. Ask me how I know.

But the silence is worth it:thumbsup:

#7 ·
I've installed a 717400 into a 1980 280CE. I don't recall issues with the insulation.

The mounting for the exhaust is different, however.

FB

#8 ·
Both my cars and a friends manual 300D have no issue with the insulation. I just removed mine out of frustration R&R'ing the transmission 7 times trying to fix the shītty SPEC clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.