Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

w123 - complete climate servo bypass with a/c

10K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  UncleDirtnap 
#1 ·
I've read every climate and servo thread I can find, but still don't have enough to piece together what I need.

First, the car - 1980 300cd, 110k. It's solid but the florida sun and 20 years under an oak tree has left it with some rust, terrible rubber, and lots of neglect. It's my daughter's 'learn to work on cars and drive it when I'm 16' car. It's nice enough to be nice but not nice enough to restore, if that makes any sense.

The climate control system is toast. Defrost comes on, but that is it. The servo was a solid corroded mass of nonsense inside - no moving parts inside at all, like something recovered from the titanic. I removed the servo and plumbed the heater core in manually.

Now that the days are in the 90s, I need to go the other direction and have some AC, but this is where I can't quite find the info I need. I have a handful of colorful vacuum lines, the electrical connection to the servo, and a bunch of questions.

Does someone have a document that details the outcomes of the buttons? i.e push bottom button, green and red wires get power, and vacuum goes to yellow and blue? I know that the servo controlled things like fan speed and recirculation, but the rest should be constant.

If I can push a button, have the fan come on full, air route to the vents, and the AC come on, then I will be happy.

Ultimately, it would be fun to reverse engineer part of the servo with an arduino and some small vacuum selenoids, but thats later on.

-rj

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is the functional diagram from the service manual.

Attachments

#5 ·
Lets see what controller you have designed thats cheaper.

Supply and demand.
The only really cheap and totally reliable long term solution is to convert to an ACCI manual system from a donor car.

Reactions: AlecsNYC
#6 ·
Agreed, it is either covert to a manual system from a 240D

or

Buy the 700$ upgrade

0r

Spend the 1500$ to get a new servo and amp...

though....

With the last two options, be prepared for bad vacuum pods, sensor tubes, rubber hoses, sensors, push buttons etc....plus by amps by the the dozen...

I got my ACCII working beautiful and loved it! Then I lost two vacuum pods, then the battery was dead...servo got stuck...Then an amp blew...then the servo stuck again....

It was a never ending cycle but I loved the odd engineering of the system...

#7 ·

Attachments

#8 ·
Thank you all! This is all the information I need.

There are always other options - an arduino, some 12v relays, a temp sensor, a hot water selenoid, and some vacuum solenoids should get you 100% there for less than $75 and give you computing power to spare (keyless entry, anyone?) but you'll be building it yourself. If thats your idea of a good time, then awesome-

If you have a gorgeous stock example, it seems wrong to 'hack' it- just fix it right. But if you just spent the weekend welding in new floors and are debating trying to get the sunroof to ever open, maybe your w123 won't be any worse off :D

-rj

#10 ·
They are behind the center set of switches and some are behind the AC controls. If memory serves (and at my age, it probably doesn't so double check this), there are vacuum switches and they energize some vacuum actuators?? The switches are behind the dash panel switches and the vacuum actuators are behind the AC control module (very hare to get out and back in). Search for vacuum control diagrams. There are some that will show where everything is located. Good luck!

#11 ·
Thanks! I think that was for a later year. Usually the pages with the diagrams says something along the lines of 'unless you have a 79 or 80, this should work for you' :)

I'm going to end up pulling the center console anyway, I just need to bite the bullet and accept my fate-

-rj

#12 ·
As I am sorting out my new to me 300td and I found this thread. Let me know if it is acceptable to add on here or should i start my own...

So my AC/Heat controller will defrost, blows hi and low speed heat.
NO temp adjustment

start poking around and the "controller" is unattached from heat lines under the hood. A previous owner has installed a gizmo inline on a heat line that has a on/off flow switch i guess.

So while it will be nice to have heat this winter....
i have no real control

AC compressor is there but no belt is attached (i saw this when i bought) so i am assuming there is an AC issue too. So far I have been rocking the windows down and sun roof open deal :)

#13 ·
I'm know I'm kicked a slighty old horse, but I had a status update and question.

First, I can get the compressor to come on and can have cold defrost. Yay! I assume the solid state servo replacement folks are going down the same path, so I followed their install for a time and bypassed the amplifier and have configured the vacuum lines the way they specify.

I'm at the point where I need to figure out the blower, and I am lost. Looking at the functional diagrams, there is a number 19 'Vacuum switch - Main' that I need to evaluate. Any idea what they are referring too?

I'm going cross eyed zooming into these diagrams. I want the fan on full, so I need to connect pin 6 and 7 from the servo in the functional diagram....I think.

-rj

#14 ·
Looks like you have the classic servo bypass, done by folks in colder climes. The gizmo undoubtedly turn flow through you heater core on and off - basically, full on heat, or not. I completely bypassed the heater core myself, although this last winter, I did try it out for a bit for kicks. It seems to oooze heat constantly, so you will probably want to figure out the off position of your gizmo.

I had to toss a belt on my AC as well, but it is working - I just can't get the fan to work except for defrost. Defrost is it's own circuit, and the normal fan buttons go through a labrythine path through servos and mystery vacuum switches to bring power to the blower. I'm still figuring that one out.

-rj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.