Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Low Mileage 300D... Wow.

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  rocksandblues 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Looks immaculate. These vehicles seem to go up in price in the last 6 to 12 months. When I was shopping for 300D in New York people did not want to sell for $4000 and now they are selling for $5000-6000. I am wondering what sparked the trend for vintage cars? Must be fashion world or a TV show...

#3 ·
BAT has inflated prices recently with several W123 auctioning for insane prices.

#4 ·
I want some serious proof at that mileage at that price point.

I would like proof that the speedo wasn't just replaced 30k miles ago when the last one failed at 130k...

People forget these cars aren't like Pinto's they were owned by wealthy folk, who couldn't afford weekly detailing, kept em clean...car washes etc...

So they can look this good, even with 300k on them...

#5 ·
While the pictures on this one are very poor quality I would bet this car does indeed have very low miles. You aren't going to get a 35 year old engine bay looking like that if its got 300k miles. Same for the wear on the seats and steering wheel.

Still not worth 20k though.

#6 ·
I think you could probably find someone to pay $20K, however, I think only if the car was fully recommissioned and serviced. I mean full inspection, replacement of all normal rubber components affected by age, fluids, valves, misc age related cosmetic items, confirmation of zero rust. I would actually think with only 30K, things would be more pristine, which leads me to believe it may have spent some time outside.

While I'm always a fan of older low mileage cars, I don't think many folks understand they still demand a sizable investment to truly get them up to snuff.

Additionally, I think the seller needs to have more extensive and detailed photos of everything. It amazes me the lack of effort sellers put in to sell especially at top dollar.

#7 · (Edited)
The overflow and washer bottles look well handled, the rear seat has a bit of a rip on the side, the rear magazine holders are stretched out...
These are things that should have little to no wear in a 3K vehicle.

The tires have nice dressing on them, though.

What is wrong with that rear seat? The covering is loose on the passenger side next to the center arm rest. Does the overflow tank have oil inside, or just rust?

And those door-edge and fender chrome strips. Yuck.

What about the floor mats? Ruined after 3K miles?

#8 ·
Yikes. The brake fluid reservoir looks like it's full of maple syrup. Isn't brake fluid supposed to be clear?

Definitely not worth $20k. If I really had to have this car, I'd consider paying $10k, and then I'd assume I'd drop another $5k replacing fluids, belts, hoses and things like the brake master cylinder.

#13 ·
These cars are now collector cars, they are no longer the hipster grease burners that they were 10 years ago. Remember they were never cheap when new, and now people who remember being driven around in them as kids are now buying them. I would not sell my wagon for less than $25k and I'm sure that price will be going up. And the 280CE coupe I just picked up will sell for over $15k and that is after I convert it to diesel. So the days of cheap W123's is quickly coming to an end, so if you want one buy it now!!

#14 ·
Not so sure W123s are going up in value. I seem to find dozens of them on Craigslist -- admittedly, many with high miles and rust/damage. But handfuls that are reasonably solid and under 150k miles for $3,500 or less.

Great car, I agree. An appreciable asset? Not so sure. Unless you've got a Concours-quality, low-mileage cherry. :)

#15 ·
Take a peak at Bring a trailer's last few weeks sales of the wagons. One sold for $32k and another did $26k. these were not low mileage cars, but well used, but well maintained and loved cars.

#16 ·
Online auctions are not indicators of value, they are cherry picked and highly visible examples of people willing to spend more money than something is really worth.
Just like people watching some Berrat Jackson auctions and thinking a POS Dodge Dart is somehow worth $50k just because it used to have a HEMI 40 years ago.

The real values is what people are willing to offer in a private sale.

#17 ·
It's interesting to read the last post, it absolutely contradicts my understanding of economics! Most would argue that the most accurate value of a product would be one that that is exposed to the largest pool of potential buyers. A competitive bidding environment in a free market as an auction being the best example of that. A private sale, although still one determination of value, may have a very limited pool of buyers.

If your theory is accurate, and online auctions create falsely high values, then only a fool would ever sell anywhere but at auction.

#18 · (Edited)
It's interesting to read the last post, it absolutely contradicts my understanding of economics!
Its called a "bell curve". The highest costing ones get all the attention, thus shifting the curve and reducing the value of the "average" cars because everyone expects near perfection to have any value. Just like in school where the smart kids hurt the "average" grade for everyone else because of the teacher's subjective valuing of assignments even though the "average" actually did fine.

If your theory is accurate, and online auctions create falsely high values, then only a fool would ever sell anywhere but at auction.
Only if they have an immaculate or highly desirable car as given by the examples above.
For the "average" owner with 200+k miles, a bit of rust, and some mechanical issues, their value has gone significantly down even though they are perfectly serviceable drivers.

#20 ·
Most people have never attended an auction and are not use to the "whip it out and play who's is bigger scenario"...

If two people want something, and both have tons of money...competition is born....and they will bid to the high heavens just to keep the other person from having the opportunity to own it...

I see it every time I go to the goodwill, even with housewives in today's day n age, it will be a pack of clearance tissue from target priced at 5$ a box but can be had at walmart for 1$ but it doesn't matter...One will pick it up...another will see them sit it down...snatch n run....

It is why I stopped doing resale, attending auctions and just opt to buy stuff straight out with out competition...

#21 ·
Here (hopefully) is another one.

GF just bought a 2017 merc and the dealer had this one owner, 44k miles, 1976? 220d, manual.
it looks showroom

I am surprised at what a couple people have told me a well sorted 300td goes for in some cases. I am fixing some rust now but was not going to spend 2k on a car i paid $1400 for. I am ok with white primer spots on a white car. but maybe i will have it shot.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.