Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear Windows blow fuse when operated from console switch

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dsp123 
#1 ·
My 84 300D has recently started blowing fuses when trying to operate the rear windows using the center console switch. The windows work just fine when you use the rear switches only. I have replaced both center console switches and both rear window switches but the issue remains. Its driving me crazy, please help.

Daryl

#4 ·
WOW!!! You guys have power windows? :eek

#5 ·
The fuses control the windows as follows; left front and right rear windows quit if fuse blows. Blow the other fuse, right front left rear windows quit. The fact that the fuses don't blow when using the rear switches, tells me the short is in the front switches or wiring. I would inspect the wiring where it passes from the body to the driver door. Constant use can break /fray the wiring there.

#7 ·
So today I went out and pulled all door panels, all seats and carpet and started tracing. One interesting thing happened when I would open and slowly close the driver rear door the lights on the seat switches would illuminate. When I saw this I immediately thought I had found the problem so I fished new wire through the door and attached it at the point where the wire starts coming up the B pillar however, there was no change. So next I assumed the short was further up the line so I then I the wires all the way up to the switch harness to see if that would cure the issue and again no change. So next I moved onto the drivers door and thought I saw what was a chaffed wire where the wire moves through the doors so I once again fished another new set of wires through the door and wired them up and no change. I then moved to the passenger side where I saw no issues with the wires passing through the doors. I then started cleaning grounds, I cleaned the one in the gearcase, one under the hood near the passenger side front turn signal and the two behind the cluster. I then changed all fuses as instructed by other members on other post with these issues and then I tried my spare switches........NO CHANGE........The fuses still blow when you try to operate the rear windows with the center console controls. They continue to operate perfectly when controlled by the rear switches. They also are still not illuminated.

I am getting desperate here guys......could it be the relay? Does anyone know where the ground for the windows attaches?

Any and all helpp greatly appreciated at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.