Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

82 300D Interior Trim Replacement

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  luisg92 
#1 ·
My interior is in great shape except for that cloth wrapped rubber trim around the doors. The cloth is all frayed. I understand that the OEM trim is not available. Has anyone come up with some kind of replacement. Everything else looks so great that this is really bugging me.
Many thanks

#2 ·
According to your description, the part is called “windlace”. A while back, it was still available at the Classic Center, but if you have time and some skills, you can replace the cloth yourself for almost no money.

My car had the exact same problem, the cloth on the upper part was white (Originally was blue) and the one on the B pillar was torn. I fixed it myself using two post, one from Benzworld and another from Peachparts. There is also a video on youtube about making the windlace on the b pillar.

It was a little time consuming, but the result is worth it.

Recover Your Windlace - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1369766-replaced-refurbished-interior-trim-door-surround.html

#9 ·
Thanks for the name and the link luisg, very useful. Unfortunately I couldn't find any relevant YouTube video. Would you happen to have a reference? Videos are my prime educational tool.

I'm wondering if there is any way to successfully colour black rubber. I think any ordinary paint would just crack or crinkle as the rubber flexes. Might be worth following up as a fallback or temporary measure awaiting time for the proper job.

#4 ·
It is an odd name indeed.

I have no idea how many are still left. I suppose a few hundreds, since I always see at least one in street. Most of them are diesel sedans that were imported second hand between 2004 and 2007 because they were cheap diesel cars and during that time, diesel was way cheaper than gas. There are both, euro and american versions in all four body styles, sedans, coupes, wagons and even limos (euro only), but wagons and limos are very rare.

But I think they are disappearing fast, most gasoline models have been scrapped because nobody wants them and diesels are getting tired after decades of abuse and neglect. Just 4 years ago it was possible to find several W123 for sale in good condition. Today, most of the cars that are for sale are listed as parts cars since the condition doesn’t justify the cost of fixing them. And another thing that is killing them is the market value; even a perfect example with low miles doesn’t fetch more than $6000, therefore, most owners know they are never going to get the money they invest back and they skimp on maintenance and repairs.

#6 ·
The correct term is "windlace" and it's typically referred to in the EPC as "edge guard".

I'm betting your autocorrect changed it to "windlass".... mine tried to.

I didn't dig around to see if the numbers are still valid, as you would have to have an interior color code to check stock anyway. You can find the parts in the "Body and Interior" group in the EPC for your car and gather the numbers, then get your interior color number and check with a dealer.

The stuff isn't terribly expensive, however, for the whole car you would probably drop $300-$400 to replace it all.

Dan

#10 ·
FOLLOWUP:

A quick search reveals there are numerous ways to both dye and paint rubber. In most cases it is necessary to know what sort of rubber you are working with.

What I know about rubber would easily fit on the back of a postage stamp with room leftover. So does anyone have any idea at all what sort of rubber that is used for the windlace around Mercedes-Benz doors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.