Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

84 230e only runs on carb cleaner spray?

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  hac3rd1955 
#1 ·
Hello folks,
I'm new to the forum great site! I've own my 84 230e w123 euro/gasser 2.3 for ten years.
Recently the key wore out and jammed up the ignition cylinder which resulted in a operation with the sawsall which required cutting the ignition lock housing. Luckily I cut the lock housing at the right spot which allowed me to start the car with a flat screwdriver for the last 9 to 12 months the only part I destroyed was the micro switch. So I would go out and start it on occasion and winter came and I let set for 2-3 mos.
I recently went out to start it up and realized that I wasn't hearing the fuel pump spray when I turned the switch to the second position. I thought well I'll add a fuel pump and filter to the list along with the cylinder lock, new key and steering lock housing.
Needless to say after fighting thru it all the key turns the motor over but it won't start and run on it's own I ran a jumper from the +battery terminal to the +terminal of the coil sprayed it with a little starter fluid first then started using carb cleaner and the motor would actually keep running. I've since run a direct line to the fuel pump+ side study up online and jumped the 7 to 8 at the fuel pump relay but all to no avail. I had a helper turn the key for me to the second position and the pump did nothing today. Would the micro switch keep the ignition from letting the pump work correctly? Thanks for any input on this and thanks for reading this long winded explanation! Peace!

See less See more
#2 ·
If the fuel pump does not run when you have a +tve and ground running directly to it then the pump is broken. If this is the case, this could be the reason why your fuel pump relay stopped working. I have recently discovered that the fuel pump relay on my W201 isn't fused - if that's also the case for your W123 then you might imagine how things have ended up...

#4 ·
Do I perform this at the fuel pump connection the + to minus/minus to+ by just turning the key to the second position and listening or do I need to be at the pump underneath with someone else turning the key or spin the pump by jumping the +side battery with the + side of the coil? The pump is new I loosened the intake and then the return at the carb and its blew fuel everywhere. Unfortunately I wasn't the one that removed the pump but it was pretty much self explanatory going back in with the size of the terminals and connectors there's a brownish and white wire only.
I'm not exactly sure what +tve is or where it applies to. I just keep thinking that now that am using the key to turn it over and I didn't get a micro switch when I bought the new steering lock assembly, the unit that holds the key cylinder and goes between the ignition switch. it's not pulsing right. Everyone says the micro switch only runs the buzzers but maybe "I think' It didn't stop buzzing till the fuel pump did it's thing in the second position. It's puzzling. Could it be its not letting the on/start/run talk to the fuel pump?
I really appreciate your help as I struggle with this. It's all German to me! and less frustrating than golf!
THX

#5 ·
Take the cover off air cleaner and with key in run position, press the round metal plate of airflow sensor downwards and see if fuel pump activates. Don't do it too much or cylinders will fill up with fuel and causing it to flood.

Wasn't aware you changed to a new fuel pump but running the fuel pump reverse will clear fuel tank filter screen of accumulated sediment somewhat. Only briefly should you run fuel pump in reverse.

#6 ·
Tried that early this morning the key in run position everything connected up and pressed on the airflow plate and got nothing. I just found out there may be a module/fuseable link in play somewhere located on the 84 230e eurogasser do you know where its located? your input is much appreciated!
I noticed you live on the islands so there's a bit of time delay between us. My cousin lives on the big island and has worked for the Parker Ranch for some 25 yrs plus. THX again!

#8 ·
Thanks for the info I wish I had that resource manuel. Which one is that? I guess there isn't a module/fuseable link on my 230e I looked all over except for behind the glove box in fear of tearing up the plastic fasteners that hold it in. As far as checking the dwell i'll need to recruit someone to apply the starter when I check that. THX's

#9 ·
Is the green wire going to distributor from the ICU (ignition module) good? Sometimes I have to give mine in my 280E a slight turn at the ICU because of the salt air here causes it to calcify. I'll know when it's not gonna start just by the fuel pump hum sound upon cranking it.

Can't stress enough to handle the wire with kid gloves. Think it's like around $200 nowadays

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.