Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Questions and Help in North FL

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Nutz 4 Benz 
#1 ·
Greeting from North Central Florida!

This is quite the tale, and will take up a bit of your time, but without the background and foreground you will not understand where we are trying to get to.
My wife and I bought a VW TDi, 2015 Golf Sportwagen, last year and are part of the massive cluster known as the VW Buyback program.... What a long process, but we are patient and are awaiting our offer from VW to schedule out buyback appointment. We have a farm, not a gigantic farm, but a gentleman's farm, 10 acres with goats, chickens, pigs, turkeys, dogs, and one fat cat. We bought the station wagon with the intent of having this be our 20 year car. We haul feed in it, livestock occasionally (with tarps and crates to protect the interior) and use it to commute to work, a 32 mile round trip. Occasionally, we go on drives of 400 miles or more, but that is only once or twice a year.

So, as you can now imagine, we are in the market for a replacement wagon. There are several points to be made before anyone is tempted to begin the "you should get a "Subaru/Toyota/Oldsmobile/Honda" reply here....

1. We don't want a cr@p station wagon
2. We do use/require a station wagon
3. I already have an F-250 for our horse trailer/tractor trailer/ round bales of hay hauling
4. I am an awesome mechanic being able to rebuild anything and have restored old trucks, farm tractors, and motorcycles

My wife and I really dislike most of the wagons currently available, and we are about 1 month from being entirely debt free (WOOHOO!!!) so are not willing to finance a new car. We are looking for a wagon to last us 10 -15 years. We are seriously considering an MB wagon, preferably the W123 body style. We are able to spend about 5-7 K with this purchase and would much prefer to spend our hard earned cash with an individual rather than a dealership. I have been looking at several 300TD's online, from Texas to California, and north to Michigan.... But we are in North Florida and I am not willing to purchase a car unseen/test driven by myself.

So, here we are, almost wagonless, searching for a car. We have a request for the MB owners in Central/North Florida, can we please test drive your car? Even if it is not for sale. We need to make sure it is something my wife can drive comfortably, as she is 5' 2" and needs to see over the steering wheel (true story!) and also see how it handles to make sure this is something she can drive regularly. Secondly, do you have a wagon for sale, or know someone who does? We would love to meet them!

Thanks and we are looking forward to hearing from you!

Kyle and Anja
Newberry, FL.

See less See more
#4 ·
Have you considered a W124 or even a W210 wagon? Both are within your price range for a very nice example and wonderful drivers. The W210 market is likely close to its bottom right now and I see wagons in the 2-4k range frequently which appear to be in good condition.

#5 ·
We have looked at the 124 as an option for sure! Our thinking is we should explore these wagons from our favorite style to our least favorite and recognize the fact that if the perfect wagon falls into our laps we would buy it! I will check out the w210's also as I can't remember exactly what they look like.
Thanks for the tip on the pricing as well! So far my only experience has been looking on CL and comparing those prices with KBB and Haggerty. I don't know if the 124 and 210 wagons will appreciate like the 123 wagons have done, but after 10 or more additional years of use by us I am not sure that selling the car for more than we got it is realistic anyways.

Kyle [emoji2]

#6 · (Edited)
Why would you want to get rid of literally the cleanest and most efficient model of car sold in the USA in the last 40 years?
You don't have to sell it back. You can just keep it for the next 20 years as you planned. Its a great car, keep it.

kylemason said:
We shall see what the EPA says about that in the next few months.
They have already spoken, many months ago.
They proved its the most efficient and clean vehicle on the road. The problem was VW was not truthful that they couldn't meet the EPA's absurd standards without using SCR like everyone else.

or the sh1tty way we have been treated by VW
Yeah, screw them for having to scramble $14b together and organize the largest world-wide automotive recall in human history in less than 6 months.

help us transition to a vintage MB wagon.
You're worried about slightly above the limit NOx emissions from a modern diesel, so your alternative is to buy a vehicle with 1980's emissions standards, a 100x increase in emissions per mile!

#7 ·
Kyle,

Please ignore the previous post, as it's from someone who has been banned from numerous online forums due to their inappropriate behavior. As they have recently reappeared here, I'm sure it won't be long before they're banned again.

Anyway, your decision is your decision, and I am in total agreement with it. I'm pleased to have connected you with a local 300TD owner whom I know well, and I look forward to seeing you at our get together in January where you'll see lots and lots of different W123 and W126 diesels, all of which will long outlive anything that VW has cobbled together.

Dan

#8 ·
LWB250 said:
it's from someone who has been banned from numerous online forums due to their inappropriate behavior.
Please cease your trolling or move it to the OFF TOPIC section. Your personal opinion of me has no value or validity.

#9 ·
kylemason said:
I could care less about how much emissions I pump into the air with my diesels. Really could care less. Ever.
So why are you selling back the car to VW because of the emissions "scandal"?

VW has been cheating for over 6 years
News flash, automakers have been cheating emissions since day 1.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...on-emissions-almost-as-old-as-pollution-tests
How The EPA Won $1 Billion From Diesel Cheaters Long Before VW

and the court case started a month before the cheating was made public so your 6 months is BS.
If you cared to educate yourself on the subject, you will find the buy-back option was only given on April 21 2016.

#10 ·
They want a car that will last. VW TDI break left and right and are too new for anyone to try and say they are good.

The w123 wagons have proved they last.

When my ex GF and I split 4 years ago I got her a $500 83' 300TD that had rod knock because it was fun on veggie oil.

On the drive home with it with a full tank of diesel going up a huge steep bridge my friend called and told me flames were shooting out the tail pipe so I pulled over even though I knew he was probably full of BS. The Knock was gone and the car was purring like a kitten. The rod knock was fuel knock and the flames were unburnt cracp in the exhaust.

About 6 months after having the car she rear ended a lady and smashed the front of the car. I came with a chain and a hand full of tools. Replaced the radiator, oil cooler and hooked the chain the the rad support and end straightened the hood with it.

All these years later its still on the road and needed nothing else. It's ugly and the worn out but drives great and now my brother has it.

If you get a w123 with a good drive train it will keep you on the road. Oh and in california its emissions exempt.

Reactions: kylemason
#11 ·
Oh and in california its emissions exempt.
That is false information.
Emissions compliance applies to every vehicle's entire life that it is used on public roads.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement and such from all my new Florida friends! Your support is much appreciated.

Also appreciate the heads up on forced induction. I see he is copying posts from other forums into this one. Trolls should not be fed and I apologise for doing so. Not sure how to have a good discussion with these shenninigans but please PM me if you are anywhere in North Florida and I will buy the coffee!

Have a wonderful day...

Kyle the poor trolled boy.

#15 ·
Please lock my thread

I did not ask for ....

Emissions advice for any state.

Legal advice on emissions compliance.

Or pontification on logical fallacies.

I asked if anyone had a W123 wagon for sale.

Mods, I am looking at a wagon on Monday so this thread is no longer needed or helpful to the community at large.

If you would be so kind as to lock this wildly off topic thread I promise not to feed the troll.

Thanks!

#16 ·
I was talking to LWB250, not you, kylemason. This is a public forum and I was addressing his false claim so others would not be swayed by his false information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.