Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Battery options for my 300CD

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Forcedinduction 
#1 ·
I was looking for a new battery. Bosch seems the way to go but my nearest retailer is 200 miles away. The Optima Battery website says that none of their battery options would work on my car but I know that w123 people use them so..what's going on?

And Costco seems to want to keep their auto battery business a secret. The Costco website has no information about auto batteries except for a banner ad for Interstate Battery, naturally..

Is there a house brand battery that's good but I'm missing? Sam's club? Sears? Hooters?

#3 ·
Most batteries are same same, different branding. I wouldn't spend the coin on a Bosch. Get a decent house brand from just about anywhere that has at least a 3 year replacement warranty.

You'll want an H8 group size battery.

Last battery I bought was from WalMart. Best price by far with a better warranty to boot with a 5 year phased warranty (3 year replacement plus 2 year prorata) instead of just a plain 3 year replacement.

#4 ·
Sure must be nice living in the US. In my neck of the woods, all batteries are most definitely not the same, and certainly not equal.

#11 ·
FYI group 49 and H8 are interchangeable names, and most brick and mortar places list them as H8 in my experience. Asking for an H8 will likely cause less confusion at the counter.

#8 ·
Bought my 300CD about 4 1/2 years ago. It had an Exide battery in it then, obviously not new. No sign yet of battery weakening. My Dodge truck has a six year old Pep Boys battery in it and has never parked indoors. Starts like summertime on the coldest day of Winter.

Bottom line is; any battery is a crap shoot. Buy the cheapest of the correct size.

#13 ·
Buy the cheapest of the correct size.
That is very bad advice.
Buy the BEST battery you can afford and make sure the charging system is working properly.

Flooded lead acid batteries are obsolete and do not last long as the should in diesels. Get a good AGM battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.