Fuel exonomy - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 07:09 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1978 240D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
NB, you guys have the advantage of being in Europe. I'd love to drop a lower value rear in my 240D, 1st gear is just a waste of time in it. Tell me where to find the mythical 2.47 and I will be eternally grateful

Though we are getting slightly off track.

Frank, your car is fine, it is doing what it's meant to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 07:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: Diesels om616 -> om606
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nude Easel View Post
NB, you guys have the advantage of being in Europe. I'd love to drop a lower value rear in my 240D, 1st gear is just a waste of time in it. Tell me where to find the mythical 2.47 and I will be eternally grateful

the 240d will be better of with a 2.88 or 3.07, esp if its an manual, automatic is a tad different, id start with a 2.88 if thats the case (found in the om617a cars in 1985) and see how it turns out, its al down to how much slippeage you have.

i had a 2.65 LSD in my 240d (the torn one) and it worked but barely, it was to slow, althou that engine is slow as hell, (gets beeten easy by the other 240d even thou that has a 2.88)
might work with an automatic and a healthy engine. it will still be slow, and increased slippage in the auto-converter

the 2.47 is in the 380SE w126, in an manual car best suited for a more torque happy engine than the 240d

differentials, gear-ratios and compatibility | Mercedes-Benz turbo
and the w126 with the 2.47 differential.
observe that the speedometer is WAY of, due to the diffratio, 1600rpm = 65mph

the diffs from straight cylinder engines up to and during 1985 will work on any other straight cylinder engine chassi (w115, w123, w116, w126, r107)

the v8 has a larger flexdisc, and you have to swap the yoke, with al the work that goes with that. so a w123 2.88 is imo the best start, relatively easy to sell to.

Europe isnt an advantage, atleast us in sweden has almost no w123 turbodiesels, and thus, almost no differentials to source for a swap.

Daily: w123 om602 7.5mm 200whp
special/projects/storage: 20 cars +
mbturbo.com

Last edited by swampmonkey; 01-12-2016 at 07:28 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1983 300DT Sedan W123, 617.952
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Nude,

Thanks for the advice. The car does run good. Makes decent power, the engine doesn't leak any oil and the smoke is not too bad. It is burning about a quart of oil every 2000 miles but I assume that's to be expected. I may just remove the head and have it completely overhauled, see if that makes a difference once I do a compression check first. Hey! How about that? I didn't misspell any words!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Why fix what isn't broken??

The oil consumption can simply be coming from bad turbo seals...or the type of oil your using or valve adjustments or carbon build up or bad lift pump or...as you see the list can keep going and it not point to the head....
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:57 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1978 240D
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampmonkey View Post
the 240d will be better of with a 2.88 or 3.07, esp if its an manual, automatic is a tad different, id start with a 2.88 if thats the case (found in the om617a cars in 1985) and see how it turns out, its al down to how much slippeage you have.
Yeah, it's manual, I thought the 2.88 was only in some rare 300T (or TD) version in '85, did they all have it?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, it's manual, I thought the 2.88 was only in some rare 300T (or TD) version in '85, did they all have it?
dont know acctualy, us swedes never got anything else than the 300tdt, and never the 2.88, 300SD of any kind, or 300CD or 300DT never arrived this side of the pond. wierdly enough.

4 speed manual, a 3.07 would be a good start, if healthy a 2.88 should work to

mbturbo.com
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: W123 230E 1981
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would really like to find a 3.07 diff with ABS. but it is impossible in Denmark . I now have a 3.58 diff in my 203E auto and too high rpm
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123-230E View Post
I would really like to find a 3.07 diff with ABS. but it is impossible in Denmark . I now have a 3.58 diff in my 203E auto and too high rpm
the w123s are uncomon with ABS no matter what country you look in afaik, and the 3.07 in its own is rare here in europe, and perhaps even more in sweden, denmark etc.

it might be more doable to find a 2.82 differential with ABS from a 1981 w126 500SE, i think the one i have might have it atleast, going to put a diff on a w123 abs car myself :P

the 2.82 needs to have the yoke/flange swapped thou, with the propper torque tightening of the nut, its a l down to how much work + money you want to spend for a good rpm in highway driving :P

mbturbo.com
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1983 300DT Sedan W123, 617.952
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post
Why fix what isn't broken??

The oil consumption can simply be coming from bad turbo seals...or the type of oil your using or valve adjustments or carbon build up or bad lift pump or...as you see the list can keep going and it not point to the head....
Ok, I rebuilt the turbo and replaced the seals near the impeller. I keep up with valve adjustments. I always use good quality 15-40 diesel oil. Do I need to switch to synth or are specifying a particular brand/weight? where does the excess carbon build up at and how do I remove it without engine disassembly? I didn't know this car has a lift pump. Are you talking about an inline electric pump between the tank and IP that boosts pressure? Where is it located and how would it affect oil consumption?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
There is an EGR system and if this isn't bypassed this can cause excess carbon build up...

Even if the EGR is working and the car doesn't see peddle to the metal driving on the highway, that will cause carbon build up...

Carbon gets out of the engine, two ways...The tail pipe...and oil changes, the oil acts as a detergent...If the oil isn't changed regularly enough, the oil doesn't become clean. And there is a bypass valve, in the oil filter housing...If the oil filter becomes clogged...This valve opens and allows unfiltered oil back into the engine...

The lift pump, is on the side of the injection pump and "lifts" the fuel from the tank into the injection pump. If the seals become bad, oil can be introduced into the tank....

Bad injectors can also cause excess carbon build up, carbon can build up so bad on the rings, that they will not seal thus oil burning...

These cars are built like tanks, the engine is something popular in third world countries...They don't like to be babied...They want to be driven and driven hard...It helps to keep things clean, along with precise maintenance...

If these cars, don't see that...They become a carbon'ed up piece of coal...

They wear out way before their prime...

Take the car on the highway, drop a gear in the auto...let it revee...drive in a lower gear...be amazed what driving these hard can free up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.